darn acorns...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by G-father, Oct 13, 2003.

1. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that has 4-5 years of acorn buildup. They are embedded into the soil to the point when they are choking the grass and hurt bare feet when walking across the grass.

What is the best way to remedy the problem without totally redoing the lawn? I want the acorns gone!!! I’m not sure a thatcher would bring up the acorns. Suggestions??

By the way I did a search and all I found was ways to remove the acorns on top of the ground.
  2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

how bad do you need the lawn account?..
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

A rake.................oh no...........did I say that?

I know they make such a thing but I have never ever used one.

I heard they're bad for your health.

I'd pass on this yard and give it to the less fortunate.:D
  4. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys guys and yes I do know what a rake is and how to use it. :D :D

This is for a friend so I will probably end up doing it. Does anything like a powerrake work for this kind of project or will it just rip out all of the grass?
  5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I've used a dethatching attachment on a lawn/garden tractor, then my leaf sucker with some sucess. I have to do my lawn 2-3 times a season to keep up with them though. (This year the way they're dropping, I'm wearing my hard hat and flac jacket while I'm out there.) I don't think you ever get them all. After all, even the squirrals can't keep up with the acorn supply. Good luck.

BY the way, check your PM's. I sent you one the other night.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my suggestion would be a rake as well or like the captain suggested as well about the dethatching attachement. Like JRCO's might work
  7. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

I'm not an expert, but I did (unintentionally) pull a lot of rocks out of our lawn when I did a fairly aggressive power raking job. Former owners apparently had a kid that hit a lot of rocks into the lawn with a baseball bat (ugh) -- I must have pulled about 300-400 1" diameter rocks out of the lawn with the power rake that weren't otherwise visible. Didn't hurt the power rake a bit because the rocks were just "nested" in a big layer of thatch.

Your problem may be that the acorns are too small and would fall back in -- on the other hand they are lighter and maybe would be supported by any thatch that comes up at the same time.

Hope this helps a little -- good luck.
  8. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

??????/ you lost me whats a rake thingie u speak of???????????????????????
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I'd use a power rake. I used mine to get all the embedded stuff out of my yard when we moved in last spring. Then I used the blower to pile them up. Worked great.