Davey booster pump??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CRUZMISL, Jun 26, 2005.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Hi All,

The system I have consists of PGP heads 4 per zone and supplied by 3/4 copper to 1" funny pipe. Anyway, the static pressure in the area is 40psi and I have an operating pressure of 32psi. Pretty low static and the municipality states it's "normal"

I was thinking of adding a Davey booster pump to increase the operating pressure to 45 to 50psi. What are your thoughts on this idea? The main reasoning is to obtain a bit more throw and better dispersion.

Here is some info on the pump system (HS18-30HT1),

http://www.daveyusa.com/hsinfo.html

I can plumb it in no problem but I honestly don't fully understand how flow is affected once the pressure increases or if I'll have a suction effect off the city supply.

Thanks for any tips.

J.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What number nozzles are on those PGP's? You may have one of the (very) few instances where using Rainbird Maxipaw impact heads would gain you increased throw distance, without the need for any energy-consuming booster pump.

3. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

If I recall 6 to 7 maybe a few 5's too. Homeowners association doesn't allow for impacts :(

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

3/4" copper main line?

Did a plumber install this?

5. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

No a plumber didn't install it. The house only has 3/4 municipal supply. The rest of the system is 1" funny pipe but that doesn't really matter since the supply is 3/4.

6. Dirty Water

First off, funny pipe is a brand name, and it usually refers to 1/2" or 5/8" poly tubing, Sounds to me that your system is just 1" poly.

Second, it does matter what size pipe you run. There is a difference between GPM and PSI.

I could have a 2 foot mainline, and run 1/2" and then run 1 1/4" for my laterals and be just fine (not that I'd ever do that).

BTW, like I said in your other thread, go down a size on the nozzles and see what that does for you.

Thats free...and quick, which is a lot cheaper and faster than buying a booster pump.

My opinion on booster pumps is that they are only needed when the installer did it wrong.

7. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Hmm, I always thought that the supply is only as good as the smallest pipe.....

Should I worry about wind taking the stream if I go down a nozzle size?

8. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

just curious... y don't they let you use impacts? the noise? although you are better off I cant believe they can regulate that sort of thing... a lot of people think the sound they make is the "classic sound of summer"

9. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

Who knows. No satellite dishes or wooden fences either........

It's the Gestapo:)

10. Dirty Water

Wooden fences look better than chain link IMHO. Do they allow those plastic ones?

Neighborhood regulations can be ridiculous.