Dawn or Blazing Saddles

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by aquamtic, Feb 23, 2004.

1. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

My vendor has been pushing for me to try out some of the saddles available. I was wondering what are the pros and cons and which brand do some of you prefer and have had great results width.

2. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

We switched to blazing saddles several years ago, and I will never use Dawn again. I sold all the Dawns I had in stock to a competitor. Sure the Blazing saddles are more expensive, but the labor costs make up for it really fast. Plus you eliminate two tools. I have never had to dig up a Blazing saddle becuase it was leaking and I have never had to dig up a head becuase we forgot to put a hole in the pipe. Much faster to install and definately much easier to put on the side of a pipe if you want to go that route.

Labor is your biggest expense, and whenever you can save it, you will make money

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

3. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Ditto.
    We have used almost 10,000 of these and will never go back to Dawn.

4. aquamtic

I have a few sample of both and am trying them out right now. The BS looks like the way to go. But how do you take one off a pipe incase you need to remove.
    Do you guys find or know the friction loss due to the piercing stem on these?

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I don't remeber the exact numbers on friction loss, but I do remember that it is less than an insert fitting.

Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

6. aquamtic

Does anyone have a trick to removing the Blazing Saddle without damaging???

7. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I am curious as to why you would ever have to remove one.
    They will come off pretty easily but it's possible to damage them which woud make them un usable.

8. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Blazing saddles are the way to go. Removal??? Just install a threaded plug in the saddle if you want to remove a head.