DAY 1 Hustler lift test

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Aug 25, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I had no weekly accounts to do today so I have pictures of 14 day accounts and it has rained 6" during that time and the grass is still holding moisture. Put the kit on today and the following pictures are the results under some of the worst conditions (spring like, overgrown). I was immediately impressed with the cut quality and the exhaust used to throw a thin stream of clippings and now it throws a wide rooster tail of clippings much like the Ultra Cut if not better. Dont compare these pictures to weekly well manicured accounts. These are homes that are abandoned and I just mow them every couple of weeks to keep them under control. Definitely check out the picture showing the chute exaust. I am very happy so far with the performance of the kit in these conditions. Cut is much smoother and exhaust of grass clippings is much better. No clogging of deck but I did scrape it once and it wasn't bad. I can't wait to try it on my weekly accounts but it looks like it's going to preform well. I feel like I have a new mower since the kit was added but this is just the first day. Enjoy the pictures and THANKS HUSTLER. I have never seen a company of any kind jump on a problem as fast as these guys. Hat's off to HUSTlER. So far so good. Thanks also to PJ who have been a great service to Hustler and it's customers.

Hustler-t-001.jpg

Hustler-t-004.jpg

Hustler-t-006.jpg

Hustler-t-009.jpg

Hustler-t-011.jpg

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

My gosh that is thick what ever it is and the cut looks clean from the pictures, what does the kit consist of and what does it change when installed as far as lift and discharge when compared to the deck without the retrofit?

3. tacoma200

It just seems to keep you from loosing vacuum out the front of the deck and increases air flow out the chute. Its working for me but I'm not sure if the conditions in N.C. are the same. Yes this grass here is a mess when moist. I has the consitency of cow maure when cut. It lays down also which is why I have to have the lift. If your cutting mostly Southern grasses it may not help you. I'm not sure how it works exactly but I could tell a difference imediately. Time will tell if it helps others. Hers a pic of the kit.

H-kit-1.jpg

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This looks similar to the kind of 7 day growth I see if we have rainfall.
    Pretty much the same view I've had all week... except the mower color.

[​IMG]

Anyways guys... I had something very interesting and odd happen to me today.
    One of you fellas do me a favor...
    Post me a few pictures of the actual blade style you are running.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Glad your happy so far. Is it giving you lift where your tires pass? I was mowing almost exclusively bluegrass today with very little weeds or other grasses. If my tires touched the grass, it was down for the count without hope of lifting it. I am not sure how my bagger was effecting the air flow. I would not think it would adversely effect it, but I will have to try without the bagger. Glad the discharge is improved. I was not impressed with the discharge pattern prior to receiving the new kit.

Thanks for the great pictures and posts!

6. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Looks like it helped, that is a pretty god cut for that thick grass. Is that still with the fusion blades and FFT's installed, or not?

7. tacoma200

This is two week growth. Of course we are probably not cutting the same type grass. This stuff turns to mush when you cut it. I have no experience in Southern grasses so I can't say which is worse. I know all the cutting problems are up here it seems. If this grass had some rigidity to it that would make all the differnce in the world but it just lays down and turns to a cole slaw consitency when cut. Wish us Hustler guys some luck, Shady Brook doesn't seem to be having as good of luck as I am so far but he has spacers on his to lower the blades and he is bagging which I am not. I am using the stock fusions. Have a good one Envy

8. tacoma200

Yes it was picking the grass up after the tires went over. It compares closer to the Ultracut now. I hope you have some better luck. Hopefully with a little experimenting you will have it worked out.

9. tacoma200

Yes this was cut with the original fusion blades. I have not installed the fix for the fft (free flow triangle yet) but I need to. I can see a very small raise in the grass where the fft fits on the left side sometimes but it is very subtle. My dealer is 80 miles away is the reason I haven't had it done yet (put the fix on the fft). I can now take over grown lawns and get a pretty good cut and dispersion now. Before I was leaving alot of stringers and just a small stream of grass coming out the front of the cute. It was laying grass over and not cutting it the same height. I was begining to get a sick feeling to have a new mower and didn't know what to do with it. Not good enough for a finish mower and left stringer on tall stuff. It cut good very low lawns only. But now it seems much better. I just need to test on regular lawns now (1 week).

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Everything grows here... both southern/warm season and northern/cool season grasses... and both sets of weeds too. There is not a grass that I do not cut, and often they will be mixed in the same lawn... with the exception that I do not have a centipede lawn.

Anyways... after what happened to me today... I'm really curious to see some pictures of the blade design. I might have just stumbled across something....