Day 1 - Scag Z-Cat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenboy25, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Greenboy25

Greenboy25 LawnSite Member

Well today was my first day running my new Scag Z-Cat (36"). I first have to say, WHY DID I WAIT ALL THESE YEARS TO GET OFF MY FEET? It was great making my way around the properties in a quick and efficient manner. It was also quick going from house to house since I have alot of houses on the same street. Since this is my first ZTR mower I will become more efficient turning as time goes by. I left a few marks here and there in thin areas but have done that with my WB while turning as well. The Z-Cat is an amazing machine. The quality of cut was great. I thought the deck with its 3 blades was alot louder than my WB but I can attribute that to the fact that maybe its because I'm sitting right over the deck. Guess I'll just turn up my Worktunes AM/FM hearing protection headset. I liked the ability to change mow heights easily in comparison to my WB. If your still walking consider a rider. Wish I did 8 years ago when I started.

2. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

Amazing the amount of time you save isnt it? Your legs will thank you all summer. I was worried about the learning curve too but it was very short.Congrats again and good luck with it.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Good deal,buying one is the first step and will will wonder why have i been push mowing small properties,we had to adjust our deck on a three inch cut it was cutting a four easy to fix.

4. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations on your new rider. Scag makes good stuff.

5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats!! You can see mine at www.cutinedge.com I am picking a new scag 36" SWZU tommorow to go along with the Z-cat.

6. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

The down side side is that now you can't eat as many double cheesburgers without it showing. :laugh:

7. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Do you think I'll be asking myself the same thing when I finally get to use my Phazer? If you can please post some pics of the cut I'd like to see how that thing cuts.

Rob

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I hear and understand you 100%. It is the same feelings that I have with my new Gravely, why it takes me so long to start riding instead running sulky. What a huge huge energy saving piece of equipment! Now, I am really ready to take on any large lawns with good offers which I had to turn them down in past years due to fatigue from running wb. I know it takes a while to practice the perfect turn without tearing turf but abosolutely worth the learning. Never look back

9. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking forward to a zero turner. probly by june ill have a new one or a really good used one. Nothing big, but at least 44''.