day labor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eddies, Jan 25, 2004.

1. eddies

eddies LawnSite Member

how much do you pay these guys!!! when i pick them up they have nothing more than the shirt on their back and want up to 15.00 per hour and at least one meal. HELP!!!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the pay depends on the area where you live at. So lower pay or higher pay can depend on a smaller city, larger city, greater income area, or lower income area. Perhaps call around and get some per hour price ideas from other LCO's and also other companies in the area that are not just LCO's.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

At least one meal? Pack a lunch pal...

4. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

They are trying to get the most for their time. It is the start of salary negotiations. You can haggle with them. Here you can pick up a day laborer for about $7.00 an hour. They will ask you to buy them lunch, but you do not have to. And, you can pick from 40-50 guys on any given day. If I was paying $15.00 an hour I would just go to a Ready Man Labor store and pick up a guy.

Peace,

Rex

5. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Rex Man... how do you claim on your accounting 40-50 perday? Are they listed as "contract Labor" so you send they a 1099 at the end of the year?

6. NorthernLightsLndscp

NorthernLightsLndscp LawnSite Member
    from Zone 4

10.00/hr and lunch is a fair wage.

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

$9.00 an hr and they have to have their own friggin lunch

8. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

You can claim up to 600.00 per year without 1099ing them. Any more then they have to have a social security number to report to the IRS. BTW, we have regular employees. Not everyone uses the immigrant labor here.

Peace,

Rex