1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Day lights savings...a part timers nightmare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steveair, Oct 24, 2000.

1. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted to see how the rest of you, especiall the part timers, are getting ready to handle the daylight savings weekend coming up.

For your full timers, I'm sure its not anything big, as you probably have things pretty much under control.

For me, I'm hating it.

I work 6-2 M-F, and do my jobs after work. The already shorter days have already begun to hurt me, as it seems I get to a job, get everything unloaded, and then have to pack up. Losing another hour this week is really gonna make it tight.

I've been pretty much telling people that I am done for the year, as I have a solid 3-4 weeks of of work left, and hope to get that done, none the less take on more.

Do any of you guys try to push through now to try to get some extra money for winter? I purchased quite a substantial amount of equipmnet this year, so want to make sure I have enough of a nest egg to make the payments all winter. So far, I have enough, but just want to give me a some room to breath now.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a daycare that has to be cut after 5:00 pm. I told the owner that starting next week I'll have to cut it on the weekend(my onty weekend job). I've got headlights on the mower but not on the trimmer!
  3. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

Yeah Im in there tooIm free around 4 and by the time Im at a job the sun is setting one church I cut takes 3.5 hours I leave the parts that are under the parking lot lights for last this is a difficult business to be in part time!
  4. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat, although I have started working my full time job part time which helps, also installed lights on the mower but you can only mow after dark you can't trim.
  5. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

this is kinda stretching it Ive never used it but how about one of those miners lights fixed on forehead
  6. River Hill

River Hill LawnSite Member

Since you are in NJ and I am in Maryland we are on about the same schedule. I have about 3 to 4 weeks left also but things are slowing down. I know most people try to bleed one more cut out of customers by cutting at 2.5" in late November or December. I cut 3" spring, 3.5" summer, and 3" in the fall. I try not to ever cut the week of Thanksgiving or after that. Most people could be cut until the first week in December, but what I do is cut my customer at 2.5 the first or second week in November and that finishes them for the season. I am a part timer so this is what I do because of lack of daylight.
  7. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I'am all into to hatin that daylight saveings time too!! I get of at 2:30an these next few week will sux!!! hard to do more than one job (leaves)with it getting dark so soon an i hate working weekends!! but now is the time of year were i hafta work some.
  8. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Full time, so not too much of a problem really with maintenance, but for fall clean ups I'd like more daylight. I usually cut (I'm on Long Island) until next week at which point I cut about 2.5". The next three weeks in Novemember, up until Thanksgiving I'll clean leaves out every week (not completely, but off the turf at least) to keep up and keep houses clean and me making money. I just clean leaves instead of mowing and there's little trimming to do at this point. After Thanksgiving I start the full fall clean ups. We clean out every leaf, etc, mow shorter one last time, and lime. Then the week before Christmas is gutter time and any other (HOMERUN VENTURA!!!!!!!!!!!!!) GO METS! (uh oh, could be setting up for a side discussion here) odds and ends. MY 2 cents. Keep working until Christmas. Then time to relax and recover, do paperwork ,taxes, etc, etc, etc, blah blah blah. But keep providing service every week and make that clear from day one in the spring.
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Last year I had to tape a flashlight onto my trimmer. This year we have been working all weekend long and still turning down work. Next year we will be fulltime so I hope no problems. I also have a million candle power light in my truck for getting the last bit of the job done.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

uh umm cough cough. We switching back to standard time. We just went through daylight saving time. Oh man....