day of week vs complaints

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffex, May 16, 2002.

1. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I love to cut on thurs. or friday because everyone is happy to see us show up to mow. I try not to mow on mon. but when I do the petty comments go up. We do the same quality job on both days its just the customer mentality to think we only cut thier lawn . I put all my best customers at the end of the week. I explain to new customers how we use seniority and customer relations to evaluate who gets the best days. A new lady last tues. asked to be towards the end of the week. I told her it is everything we can do to keep up with our schedule now and when things slow down some I can move her to wed. but thurs. and friday are full. She understood the reasoning and was appriciative of that kind of loyality by me to veteran customers. I told her that is the attitude that will move her to a friday customer in the future. This year I have weeded out 9 complainers so far and it feels great to be appreciated by the new customers.
  2. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

I have the same issues ( with days), I just have a decent mix of residentials and some small commercials to do in the early week.
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Tell em the day of cut is based on geographic location. To move the day they must move the lawn. End of conflict, in my experience.
  4. j.kelley

j.kelley LawnSite Member

That is the way I handle my days, seniority, new customers will understand that we are loyal to the customers that are loyal
    to us. Without that wher would we be, I would have all new clients every year. If they are happy with your service, they will understand your dilemma.
  5. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

The customers that I do on Thurs. and Fri. have been there for 12-14 years. I get new clients that demand a Thurs. or Fri. service too. I explain how it works and they are shocked that I have had customers on those particular days for that long. It's fun to watch the expression on the faces. I tell them that someone has to literally die before I can move a new customer to the end of the week!That's usually the end of the story. :D
  6. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I like your system but also agree that location has a lot to do with it also.
  7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I think geography is everything (perhaps to a fault?). The day of the week the lawn is cut is not negotiable. There's little enough money in the lawn game that routes have to be productive (at least as much as possible).

I had a customer all lined up to begin in June (quoted her last week), and the money was going to be fabulous. Only thing was, Tuesday was a bad day for her. In fact, she said, any other day would do. I have a dozen in that area every Tuesday (within a minute of each other), so Tuesday had to be the day for me. I had to turn her away.

Furthermore, I don't schedule cuts on Friday. That day is reserved for make up work, additional services, equipment maintenance and, god willing, an occaisonal 3-day weekend. ;)
  8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to keep a schedule as best as I can but it seems as soon as the rainy seasons hits, there goes my schedule. The fact that different yards grow at different rates does not help either. I just do the best I can to keep things as tight as possible and take one day at a time. I have found that you will never be able to keep everyone happy all the time.
  9. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We front load our schedule in case of rain, etc. 85% of our properties are cut before Thursday. Geography is a big part of the equation.
  10. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We mow geographically. We tried to work around a few customers that way and it always ends up being a disaster. They are never there to unlock the gate when they say they will and we've had more hassles with those types of customers. We have had NO complaints from our customers on our slate now regarding the day of week we mow. When we've asked them if we could change their schedule to make things better for our "route," they have all been agreeable. I think that if you don't give them the option in the beginning, they won't expect it so much. We just say, "Hey, we'll be in your neighborhood on Tuesday. We can start mowing for you this week!" We've had positive results with this. Also, we get lots of "word of mouth" business from neighbors, so they know the day we are mowing already.

We also have a slow day on Friday and leave Saturday open for make ups because of rain. No work on Sunday -- need to rest sometime. Saturday, we do maintenance and clean up also.