daycare centers and fertilization program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, May 13, 2008.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i normally stay away from these clients because the amount of kids at those places. i was asked to bid on a property that is a daycare and only treat the back where the kids play.
    any of you guys treat property's like this? whats your program like?
    i was going to shy away from it but i need the work!

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerate and overseed as often as possible! A child's footprint has more PSI than an adult's, and there will be immense traffic on the turf. I always did the one I had on a Saturday or Sunday. I was happy when they canceled.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not interested. Michigan has so many laws and rules, and requirements to inform parents aboout chemicals--it's not worth it. Probably we have the most roaches in our school cafeterias. Lots of regulations that make business difficult.

4. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

check the laws you may not want it. Everyone needs to be notified for schools etc.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Notify the owner/agent of the daycare of the app date and then it is the responsibility of that person to notify the parents. At least in NY.

I have one stand alone I currently do and a few corporate sites that have onsite daycares. We usually do that after 5pm Friday or first thing Sat AM that way they have 48 hour re-entry covered for Monday morning.

6. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i need to look into the law..(i should know it)

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

You may want to do it with organic apps

9. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Michigan servicing these types of properties (day care and schools) you will spend more time making sure the pre-notice requirements are met then doing the work. Every parent must be told when you will be spraying and the school or day care must have an intergrated pest management program for the building or property. Sometimes it's better to avoid the problem before it starts.

10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Here it isn't bad at all. I do a couple private schools and have done a daycare. I do them Sat. AM then they water Sat. PM and Sunday PM. Not a issue at all. I hit them hard April and may with fert, prodiamine and weed control, so the rest of the year it is basically just fert.