daycare, or home with mom???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 10, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well i caught some grief on emails from other members who became insulted over my remark about putting a child in daycare. that was not meant to offend anyone, except of course vee dee. and even to him, things should not be taken personally, this is a forum, i don't know you people, and never will. to my question: when my wife became pregnant the first time, and the dna results came in , she quit her job. we thought this was important so she could be with our kids as a full time mother. this was possible, because i had marketable skills that allowed me to make a good living, and enough drive and ambition to have a part time business on the side to more than make up for her losing her income. for this i am greatful. given the choice, would you send your kids to daycare 8 hrs a day, or keep mom home with them?

2. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

Absolutely keep mom at home, as much as possible. Probably the extent to which my wife would work out of the home would be like 20 hrs/wk. We don't have any children yet, but when we do, I will be working my tail off, I can't wait....really. I believe that being a housewife is work, when there are kids involved.

3. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

My wife stays at home with our 2 kids. I'm a programmer with a lawn business on the side (For now)

i listen to dave ramsey a lot he was saying the other day that it takes 30-35k on average for a mom(or dad) to go to work and put the kids in daycare. that is basically what we figured also. Its not worth her working just to pay for daycare and stuff. We don't want our kids raised in day care anyway. The do go to mothers day out just to give here some breaks throughout the week.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know what comments you're talking about, but i wouldn't leave my daughter at one of those places. My wife works part time, and goes to school full time, and i work alot during the week, but we still manage out fine. We do have help though from both sets of grandparents whenever we need a sitter during the day, so i guess we're lucky. But i would never drop her off at one of those day care, especially 8 hours a day! we'd rather be a part time workers, then a part time parents. besides, the cost of the day care in NYC is rediculous. I have a customer who pays around $950 a week!!!

But some don't have the options I have, and have no choice. that's one of the many reasons i wanted to work for myself, so i could have the free time option to deal with my growing family, and to supplement my income to make up for the time i'd have free.

5. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

With out at doubt - stay at home.

My wife stays home w/ my 3 yr old and 6 yr old. I would not have it any other way. I work FT and have a home improvement business on the side.

BTW-My own sisters called me a male chauvinist for wanting her home. I wear it like a badge of honor!

6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife stays at home...

7. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

My wife stayed home for a while but she wanted to go back to work. Around where I live day care runs about $1300 to $2000 a month. That's a mortage payment. I work a full time job and I have a small landscape business on the side to supplement my income. My wife works full time know and both of my kids are in daycare. $358.00/week. Once they are done with daycare I am going into the landscape business full time - only 2 more years. We tried having my wife work part time but with most daycares you really don't save much $ by having your kids go part time.

Shawn

8. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

My in-laws own a daycare and they run a one of the better ones in my area, however I still wouldn't leave my 15 month old with the 6.00 per hour punk azz kids that they hire to "care" for the kids. My wife stays at home and its a struggle some times financially but its worth it in the long run.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My wife works 20 hours / week as an RN.

My parents live on one side of us, and my wife's mother lives on the other side of us.

My dad's retired and watches our son when my wife has to work during the day, and if my wife works in the evening, then anyone of the grandparents will watch him.

10. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

My child goes to the best daycare in our county ( probably the most expensive too ) from 10:00 to 4:00 m-f. She is 4 now and has loved it from the time she started at 2. I think it depends on your situation as to what you do, If you try to keep up with the jones's and end up in the poor house the jones's won't let you live in their basement. They will just laugh at you, and then you will leaugh at yourself and say f---- you Mr. Jones your s--- stinks just as bad as mine. JMHO.