1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kaufmaninc, Jun 17, 2003.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

What do ya all know? I need to cut some back that have blooms and want to know what would happen if I cut them waaaay back. Would this stagnate the bloom for next year? Would it bloom any more this year?
    thanks in advance
  2. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I have one customer that has maybe a couple hundred daylillies that go around her patio. I cut them down every year, sometimes when they're still blooming and sometimes when they're done. It depends on what she wants and when she wants it down. Been working for her for 8 years now and the daylillies have bloomed well every year no matter. Personally, I like to wait for the blooms to fall off but either way it didn't seem to effect the next years blooms. I'm no plant expert but this has been my experience.
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Cut them back anytime you want to. You cant kill them and they wont be harmed for next years blooming either.
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

NCSU is correct.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait until fall and split the plant into a couple of plants and replant elsewhere.
  6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Set the mower about 4".
  7. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I dig them up after the finish blooming and split them, and replant. There are almost as hardy as Liriope,only prettier.