DBY splice "caps"

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What are you all paying for the DBY gel caps?

We are using a different brand that is slightly smaller than the common DBY tubes, and they are about a buck a piece. They are fully formed, and not crimped on the end like the DBY's.

Just wondering if its economical to switch.

2. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Those like the King Blues?

3. Dirty Water

I don't know what King Blue's look like, but DBY connectors look like this:

[​IMG]

Are King Blues those wirenuts that have dialetic gell in them?

4. Hank Reardon

Yes, I believe that's the ones.

5. Dirty Water

With a DBY connector, you use a regular wirenut, and then insert it into the gel, it clips shut and you have a real nice seal.

I've found that the little cap on the grease filled wirenuts tends to pop back off after a while.

6. Hank Reardon

I've not seen that problem yet. I would like to see an alternative to wire nuts. Is there something watertight with a positive locking mechanism out on the market? Money is not too much of an issue.

7. Dirty Water

Something like telephone butt splices would work well, if they made them large enough for 3-4 18 gauge wires to go into (I'm thinking of the common connection).

[​IMG]

8. Hank Reardon

That's a good idea. I wonder if you could get three Weathermatic "fat" wires and the common in there. At the rate I'm going, I'll need to install a terminal block in the valve box for the commons! Never mind, they aren't waterproof...

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

They used to sell splice kits with two-piece 'capsules', where a crimp sleeve (like used for ground wires in an electrical box) makes the connection and silicon then fills the capsule.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

3M has switched both the DBYs and DBRs from the crimped end to a rounded end and they now resemble a Tampax applicator. :laugh:

We pay about $1.07 (including tax) for DBYs but we buy them only by the case. Over the past year I've switched to "Dry Connect" splices for repair connections at the valves (usually due to gopher damage) because they don't need as much wire. They're an encapsulated wire nut that you jam the wires into and then just give it a couple of turns. They seem to hold pretty good. They run us about 65 cents for the smaller ones and 85 cents for the larger ones.