1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

DC 1701-50-Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWnENFORCER, Jun 3, 2002.

LAWnENFORCER LawnSite Member

I am looking at the DC 1701-50. I want to know if the 17hp Kohler will perform well. Today I demoed the xf-2500-60. This machine was superb, but it is WAY out of my price range.

Any questions, comments or snide remarks are welcome!

2. Why is it out of your price range?

The proper tool for the job should always be wll thought out, and price should not be the deciding factor in picking that tool.

Of course a 60" DC will be more productive than a 50"

The upper priced DC's have more filtration and mant other accessories that prolong the life of the mower.

The one you are choosing is a bottom end/entry level machine and is not the all day long commercial duty machine you are used to hearing about on the forums.

It will do the job though, but for how long?

This is a job of time is money.

Will that 17hp be enough?

Can I use a bigger deck?

How much will I spend changing air cleaners?

How much will I spend changing the oil every 30-50 hours?

How much time will I spend doing preventive maintenance?

All this stuff and more adds up to money or more money.

BTW I belive that it is a 17hp Kaw not Kohler.

For me there is a big difference between $6000 and $10000. I am only pt and do not want to finance the mower more than 2years.

What else besides the Nelson Cyclopac air cleaner and the oil cooler extends the life of the mower. Just curious.

Will the 17 horse give a good cut at top speed on the 50" deck.

And finally I intend on using this for two or three years and then keeping it as a back up. Maybe then I can "keep up w/ the Jones's".

BTW it is a Kohler.

4. Kohler don't make a 17hp engine.

Looks like you already have a plan, so why not go with what you have panned out.

But your payment may be less per a month if you go for 3 years on to $8500 model, may be priced at $10k near you but here it is $8500.

Yes those little add ons extend engine life.

I am not sure if they still put on Amsoil filters on also, but mine have them.

Is this the DC with the red frame?

NO, this dc is silver. The Kohler cv17s, vertical shaft, v-twin, four cycle, air cooled engine. I think this engine just came out this year.

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Basically the difference between the entry level Dixie and it's big brothers is as Lawngodfather said, the filters and the coolers. It also does not have an "adjustable on the fly" deck. It has the same spindles, hydraulics, lifetime warranty on the frame and caster beraings etc. The only thing I would really be concerned about is the size of the engine. The 17 is a fine engine for a walkbehind but a ztr weighs twice as much as a walkbehind. I would get at a minimum the 19.

Right now Dixie is having a sale. You can get the X2001-50 for $6699.00. It comes with the 20 Kohler, standard seat, stainless steel body, "adjustable on the fly" mower deck, standard turf tires and Quad Loop steering.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You should be able to get into athe XF2500-60 for a lot less than 10,000. I was just quoted 8289 plus tax for my choice of an XF or XW2500-60. I bought the XW model. If you are not too far from Dallas, talk to Bill at Inwood Lawn Equip. Ph. # 214-357-6611. They have good prices and great service.:)