DC blade sharpening question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, May 20, 2001.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

How do you guys/gals hold the blades still while you loosen and tighten the blades? I am doing it now but I look like a contorsionist doing it. Yes, I am using a torque wrench.
  2. g888642

g888642 LawnSite Member

I liked the idea of using a piece of PVC pipe slipped over the blade.........Might try it
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Mower on car ramps

Homer on back

Left hand holding blade

Right hand with 1/2" drive ratchet loosening.

I never torque or use an impact, I never over tighten either.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i pull up on the trailer ramp with my right castor.
    pull emergency break and its all right there to work on .
    i got that idea on this forum.
  5. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

first thing i drive the mower half way up the trailer ramp so one wheel of the mower is on the trailer and the other 3/4 of the mower deck is sticking out in mid air. So drive up the ramp with your left front tire on the far right side of the rampso your mower is hanging of the edge and then block the tires and then put a glove on and maybe use a long pipe over the wrench and go at it. Pvc pipe sounds like a great way i even use a helper to use his foot to get the real tight ones loose. Whatever you do dont torque your blades only hand tight is good enough. They tighten up enough form cutting stoping and starting all the time. I have never see a blade come off except when i hit something sticking out of the ground. I read this here too but actually learned it from a pro imployee.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

As for "chocking" the blade from spinning, I used a 2x4 about 8" long and put between blade and deck baffle. Now I use an impact and my trigger finger!
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I use a old axe handle to hold the blade, works good and is cheap because I break axes often..