dc blades won't stop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutting edge, Oct 28, 2000.

1. cutting edge

cutting edge LawnSite Member

Anybody having trouble with the blades not disengaging on their dixie chopper?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

No, but it sounds like your belt is the wrong length. You have to watch what belt you get. That belt should be a B80 if it's on an XW, but some brands of belts you need to get a B81 to be the length of the one that comes with it. Also the other belt to the T-box would need to be a B39 instead of the stock B38. I bet this is the problem.

3. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

You will have to adjust the belts to get them to stop. First make sure the engine to trans belt is at the right tension (the idler arm should be straight up and down). Then adust the engine to deck belt. This spring should be about 2" when the blades are engaged (please do with the motor off lol). That should cure it.

4. Getmow

from VA

Darn Eric you are fast

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I did on my 50" DC,there is a spring with a 9/16 nut on it under the floor try adjusting it looser a little.Getting the adjustment just right is sometimes hard,to much play,itll slip,to little and it wont slip,but it wont disengage either`,as you've found out.

6. Eric ELM

I try Getmow. :)
    I just thought of another thing, you could have gotten the wrong size belt to T-box belt, the B38 and had to slide the motor back farther, which shortens the motor to deck belt.

7. cutting edge

Thanks for the fast replies. Let me try to be more specific. I have never seen a DC any closer up than passing one by on a trailer (exmark for me). The DC in question belongs to a lady that I know. She said that the only way to stop the blades was to shut off the engine. So ya'll think that this could be caused by improper belt length/adjustments? The subject came up when I asked her about doing business with this equipment co. in our area. She then proceeded to tell about the trouble she was having with getting her DC fixed under warranty.

thanks again,
    cutting edge

8. Getmow

from VA

Well that's what we think it is but we can't give you any more help....ask LAZER

9. Eric ELM

It does sound like a wrong length belt was put on it at some time. Either she isn't turning the clutch arm off or the belts are too tight from the start. It's about the only 2 things that can go wrong with a manual clutch. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

10. cutting edge

I just called her to pass along the info. She wasn't home but her husband was. He said that they have tried new belts and that he has adjusted the spring so loose that it would not cut grass but they would not stop turning even then.

By the way it's a 42" deck.