DC ?? for Eric

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eslawns, Nov 3, 2000.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I will be getting my first ZTR in the Spring. I have recently looked at the Chopper, and it is one I'm considering. (I'm also looking at the Gravely 250Z, the Exmark, and the Husqvarna.)

I want a 48/50 deck, with a Kawi engine. Which DC should I consider? I don't need the baddest guy on the block to cut 35 lawns, and will not be looking to increase customer base by more than 10-15 lawns. I know you are convinced this machine is a gift from God above, but noone I know can tell me much about them. I don't trust salespeople and was curious to see what you think. Don't assume I have a clue about the DC, I don't. :)

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

DC sells a 50" deck with a 19 HP Kawasaki engine for around $5900. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it has the same Quad Loop hydro system the top dollar machines have. It doesn't have coolers and the Donaldson air filters, but they could be added. It is a basic machine that should hold up good if taken care of. I have talked to one person that has this machine and he likes it a lot. He bought it to do his lawn and a few around him. If you have more questions, just email me. I'll try to answer them for you.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I demoed both an exmark and a dixie chopper about a month ago and I tried to write a very detailed report on what they felt like, performance, and so on. Check it out at http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=5398 I now have a 60" DC. You might want to consider a 60" because even though it is a big deck it gives a great cut. Oh and I have several smaller yards that the 60 does well on.

4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would deffinatly re-consider the 50" deck. the 60 is the way to go, it fitss in allmost every spot a 50 will and if u ever get a larger yard you will be thanking god u got the 60. and as for the 19 kaw on the Dixie i have heard that the materials dont hold up real well on those machines, they are constucted with insuffecient materials for commercial use..u might spend a little more but i would go with the 20 or 25 kohler

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

From what I have heard, the 23 Kohler is as dependable as the 22 Kohler has been. I know a few guys that have them with no problems. I haven't heard of any head gasket problems with the 23 HP Kohler.

I would also recomend the 60" deck. I have used them on very small lawns at one time with out problems. 10" doesn't seem like it would cut that much more, but it makes a big difference on larger lawns. DC has a XW2303 which has the better seat, an OCDC, but is the painted model instead of stainless steel, which is a lot cheaper then the deluxe models.

The XW2303 is what a friend of mine in the mowing biz got this spring and between him and his kid, they can tear up any mower in one season, but this one has running strong all season without any trips to the dealer. This guy can't even change belts by himself and he doesn't have any wrenches since he doesn't know how to use them. What I'm trying to say here is, this means he hasn't fixed anything on it either.

6. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Exmark Laser HP. 23 Kaw, 52 deck. It has worked out very well for me. I have bigger places I do, some that take me 2.5 hours just to Laser. The smaller deck is nice for the smaller yards and this machine goes fast enough for big yards too. THey also make a 44 inch deck and a 48 inch. For commercial use, I would not go smaller than a 48. The 48 is available with a 21HP Kaw. I think it is anout $6700.