DC hydro oil?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Vibe Ray, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, me again. I was wondering if switching to the "Velvet Touch hydro oil used on Dixie Choppers would be an upgrade, a downgrade, no differenc, or not a good idea or not even possible or whatever. This is from their site. You can find it @ DixieChopper.com by clicking on accessories on the side menu and clicking the catalog link. From reading this they claim it's better, but that's just what they say.....What do you think?

VTC
    Velvet Touch Control Conversion Kits
    •Modification to the Hydro-Gear hydraulic pumps.
    • Improved performance.
    • Added longevity.
    • Operates more smoothly with less resistance in steering levers.
    • Less operator fatigue.
    • VTC oil improves the performance of any zero-turning radius mower.
    Standard Pump............................................. Part # 98307
    Big Pump....................................................... Part # 98308
    Diesel............................................................. Part # 98309

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Vibe Ray,

That's a good question. I don't doubt the fact that the conversion to the VTC system would be an upgrade over those manufacturers using regular, petroleum based hydraulic oil; however, I don't know if it would be an improvement over our current system, since we use the Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 15w-50 oil. I imagine that the switch would create "less resistance in [the] steering levers," but that is really a moot point because when you push our levers forward, they stay in place (i.e. - constant pressure is not required).

I wouldn't try it if I were you, and here's why. The change from Mobil 1 to VTC may affect your warranty. Also, the VTC is a synthetic blend, not a fully synthetic oil. I don't know how well their oil resists thermal breakdown. I know that the Choppers also implement a Hydraulic Oil Cooler, and we do not, so I wouldn't advise the switch. You may be replacing pumps and wheel motors more often than you would like.

Later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

wish someone would try it ,as i gave it some thought. opted against it as i learned more about mobil syn. thats the only reason i use it in my kohler. i think it controlls and handles heat better than most oils. just two qts and a good track record. some ofum use over a gallon in thier hydros..jmho