dc latching solenoids?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by gusbuster, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Besides designed to operate at 9 volts, how come the dc latching solenoids are so much more expensive that regular ac solenoids?

I don't have too much call were they are required, but @ the price Ewing charges, seems sometimes an expensive alternative.

2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

It's because they are Direct Current DC solenoids. The wiring is consistant with DC requirements and the solenoid has a latching feature which means that the actuator/plinger is pulled up electrically and held up magnetically. (Latching) When the times comes the electricity is sent down the other leg and reverses polarity which releases the actuator and the valve shuts off.

Cost factor - Because there is not that much call for them, the cost of production is higher, which results in higher prices on down the line to the end user.

Are they worth it? They are when the alternative is busting out hundreds of feet of concrete. Or when the cost of the solenoids and controller is weighed against having an electrical meter installed in a remote location. They are great on highway medians where there is no electricity.

Jerry R

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, I think Jerry nailed it on the head. Ditto everything he said. I think he's right that the reason they are more expensive is because they just aren't in nearly as much demand as regular solenoids are.