DC powered trash pump

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I got to thinking today about some sort of trash pump while I was bailing water out of a hole (Nailed a poly line that wasn't supposed to be there).

Seems to me that you could use a trash pump and power it off a heavy duty DC motor. Build the sucker into your truck and wire it up so it runs off the battery/alternator.

That part would be easy for me to rig up, but I'd love to set something up where I could roll 50' of 3/4" hose off of a reel, drop it in hole, and fire up the pump on the truck and have it keep the hole clean while I'm working.

My question, is there such a beast that could pull water that far without having it primed first?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

how about a 12v boat bilge pump??
    you could use one of those portable jumper packs as a power source

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

(1) Don't hit them. :p

(2) Turn the water off. :p

(3) :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

4. Dirty Water

Yeah...thanks for the help Hayes :)

5. PurpHaze

What would you do with the water after you pump it up with this invention? Down the gutter if there's one? Out into a canal? Perhaps the Juan de Fuca? :p

6. Dirty Water

I was figuring I'd tow around a trailer with a 1000 gallon storage tank, and when it got full, I'd stick a fedex sticker on it and send it to you.

I was thinking more like using a discharge hose as well.

7. PurpHaze

I don't think it's legal any longer to import water from Washington. And if it did get down here we'd just sell it to L.A. :p

We call them "pooper scoopers"... those that pump out septic tanks? :rolleyes:

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

as long as your not sucking mud.......
    The 12v bilge pump is a good idea. If you want to hard wire it to your truck, use a pair of 12ga wires taped to that garden hose. drop the pump itself into the hole so you don't have any suction, and as long as your using a ladder to get down there, you should be able to push the water 50-100' easily enough. BTW, an inverter and extension cord for a 1/3 or 1/2 hp sump pump ain't that expensive either.

I thought you were the guy with all the help.........can't they run a hand pump while you do the fun part??

9. Dirty Water

Great idea's everyone, I'll look into a bilge pump. That is a good iea.

You know how winter months are.

We lay off our summer crew in the late fall, and its typically a 3 man show during the winter.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i have used one before andit worked fine...
    i have a rechargable 12v compressor.flashight combo that has a cigarette lighter style plug that will power 12v items...
    i used it.. the compressor is only about $50.00.. and holds a charge a long time..