dc solenoid

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sleeton, May 19, 2006.

1. sleeton

sleeton LawnSite Member

can anyone tell me if toro makes a dc solenoid for an 1 1/2" valve

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Toro sells a Series P-220 plastic electric valve, and they can be fitted with a DC Latching Solenoid, as well as a 24VDC solenoid (non-latching) ~ since I don't use the older Toro 252 plastic valves, I don't know whether those solenoids will fit the 252. Those solenoids have the same thread as the standard Irritrol solenoids.

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The latching solenoid for these valves is an aftermarket solenoid. Kinda square looking and will come completely apart if the nut comes off the shaft. My experience has shown them to not be reliable as the plungers are prone to sticking. This is the major reason we have/are switching our battery opertated components to Hunter ICV valves with the encased Hunter latching solenoid that looks and acts just like a regular solenoid. After startup this year I've already had hung valves on the Toro/Irritrol DC solenoids but not one Hunter has hung up.

4. Wet_Boots

Has Toro tech assistance been of any use here? (call them up and ask about Flo-Pro valves)

5. PurpHaze

Here's basically the square DC latching solenoid.

ir_v_dclatchingsolenoid_s_lg.jpg

6. Wet_Boots

Definitely aftermarket. Not that the makers of those things can't make 'em right, since they may also do stuff for more critical pneumatic applications, but you have to wonder about something being left out of the 'specs' that comes back later to haunt the irrigation applications.

7. PurpHaze

They are kinda tricky to install also. Depending on the valve (i.e. some 1" and 1-1/2" valves with flow control handles) you actually have to take the solenoid apart for installation because it hits the stem when trying to thread the whole thing on. This is not the case with larger valves as there is ample room between the bonnet's solenoid threads and the FC stem. However, like I've already stated, we've had many problems with plungers sticking open. We tried various lubricants to see if that would help keep them unstuck and they work for a little while and then hang up again. That's why we're making the change gradually.

I also have to admit that we have some planters in front of an old theater that have Nelson SoloRain battery operated systems on them and they have been relatively hassle free. Only problem with them is their height.