de-carbon-ating my Shind.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hustla Kid, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Hustla Kid

Hustla Kid LawnSite Member
    from TN

Did use the search, but.....any little things to look out for when cleaning the carbon out of the head of this Shind.? (never done it before) does it use a gasket? (just started losing power today, like it's not getting enough gas) new plug, clean air filter, new fuel filters,fresh 2-stroke. Can remove the air filter and put my hand over the carb., nd it will rev up. Seems like a problem with the main jet. Sound like a carb prob.?
  2. Hustla Kid

from TN

(ran out of time to edit the last post) It runs better when turned upside down, but only idles in the normal position, after doing that. (it may have gotten alittle wet last week, if the truth be known)
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Check to see if the spark arrester screen is plugged. If so take care of it then switch to Amsoil 100:1 synthetic 2 cycle oil and you will be amazed at the results.
  4. Hustla Kid

from TN

Cleaned the spark arrester last week, and just checked it again a min. ago. Also, checked the gas lines, ect. It's weird, kinda revs up till about 75% thottle, but anymore, and the RPMs fall off. Tring to find Aimsoil around here.
  5. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

I am not familiar w/ shindaiwa but my echo's have a breather[vent] for gas tank,to let air into tank as gas is used to ease pressure or something,if not ahose from tank could be in your cap check this before you tear it apart. I have had them clog w/ similiar problems your having. good luck
  6. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

This same problem was discussed a few days ago on the mechanic forum.
    You might want to adjust the jet screws a little. I have an Echo stick edger that was doing the same thing. Seems that something might have gotten on the tip of the jets and caused the trouble because after I screwed them in (caution, do not screw them in tight), and then adjusted them out 1 1/2 turns, the motor started running like new. I did have to adjust both screws a little each way to get the best running.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

When the exhaust port gets closed in from carbon, you will lose rpm's too. If this machine is over 1 year old, it could be the problem. Take the muffler off and check the exhaust port. If it has carbon around it, break it off by pulling it our towards you until the opening is all clean. If any gets gets in the cylinder, take out the spark plug and blow air into it and let it blow out the exhaust port.

A blocked gas vent will cause problems as others have said.

Hope this helps. :)
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Popsicle sticks work well for cleaning exhaust ports and will not damage anything.
  9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Hit the Amsoil website and ask for some info, a local rep will find you.
  10. Hustla Kid

from TN

Just took the head/cyln. off. Carbon not too bad.
    The bottom ring was (what I call) collapsed. Tried to free it up, but it broke. The top ring came off ok. Fixing to go buy some more.....hope their not too high. Exhaust port was pretty clean. Still think the problem will be in the carb. Not getting enough gas. Thanks for the good tips, though. Going to the Amsoil website now AltaLawnCare. Oh, anybody ever found a good way to get the carbon out? Like you spray it on, and it magicly disapears. or atleast fall right off.