1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

De Icer ...........

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Lost Pine, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Just wondering what everyone is recommending for their customers tha have asphalt driveways for deicer..? I need something that works. A lot of my PITA(pain in the ass) customers want something that works,but doesn't harm the inside of thier house.(carpets, floors, etc).

Please help............

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

potassium chloride. Won't harm the landscape plants, either.
  3. gdeangel

gdeangel LawnSite Member

someone told me that you can also use Potasium Cloride on less than 1-year-old concrete. However, every bag label I've seen says don't use on new concrete. What's up with that? :confused:
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You shouldn't use any de-icer on new concrete, but that's hard to avoid. I've used potassium chloride on new concrete without harming it.
  5. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

No matter what chemical you use, it's the repetitive freezing and thawing that is so bad for the concrete. That's why salt works best, but is so bad for concrete. So, as far as new concrete goes, like Mike said, try to avoid it, but at least Potassium Chloride is better than salt or calcium.