Dead Beat Customer

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Barry's Lawns n More, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Barry's Lawns n More

Barry's Lawns n More LawnSite Member

Does anyone know if it is illegal to put a website up for deadbeat non-paying customers and advertise the website on your vehicle.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on what the Fair Debt Collection Act says...

It is against the law to make the information (openly) available to the public.

But this is apparently legal: The Deadbeat List

Keep in mind the FDCA exists for the following reasons:
    - To protect against unfair tactics being used to collect a debt fairly owed.
    - To protect against any tactics used to collect a debt that is not owed.
    - Not intended to be used by debtors to get out of a debt that is rightfully owed.

If I'm not mistaken, you can create a members-only / by membership type of affair where the information is available only after a certain inaugural process, which usually involves money.

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

WOW!!!;) :laugh: You REEEEAAAALLY don't want any new customers, do you?
  4. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If you put value on worry ... you're already lost more then it it worth.

How much did they get into you for ... and did you let them slide longer then you maybe should have?

There's always small claims court ... and if it is a large amount ... collections and regular court.

A buddy of mine who is also a LCO had to take a guy to small claims court to get his money ... and then the guy had the nerve to call him back and continue the service ... Pay as you Go of course.
  5. Barry's Lawns n More

no it not a big amount but small add up. it the point of it they get a way whit and that pis me off.
  6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

7. Barry's Lawns n More

maybe i dont know if will work
  8. 1PRO

1PRO LawnSite Member

Hey topsites does your phone # work i sent you a referel;)
  9. Tapr Lawn Care

Tapr Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Go back in the spring and over fertilize his lawn or spray chemical, make sure you won't get in crap for it, maybe get him to agree to fertilize his lawn then just make a mess of it and never go back, that'll teach the pri#&. Ah do what you want, I'd say move on.
  10. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

unless its a ton of money,just forget and learn from'll get better clients .