Dead beat payer NY

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by kandklandscape, Jul 22, 2005.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Did a irrigation system and new lawn for an auto store in our town. The sub-contractor lives in Syracuse NY. Need some help on finding what this guy is up to. I have his address and everything. Was wondering if anyone in the area could contact me and check into this for me? Not askingfor you to be my P.I. or nothing but might look to hire one. He owes our company a good bit of money and will NOT return my calls. ONLY fax.... says that part of tyhe reason is because the new lawn had rocks in the soil even AFTER we had got rid of the rocks..... Sounds to me like a simple general contractor to me... No offense to you NORMAL and Honest gen. contractors out there.

Please contact me threw PM

Thank you!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why is it that business owners are at least TWICE as likely to **** you than anyone else, could someone fill me in?
    I mean, I understand the bit that as a business owner, we know first-hand there is really nothing we can do... I understand the law (at least in va) provides no 100%, absolute guarantee that we will get paid because unfortunately, it is not a criminal offense to not pay.
    Still, business owners should lead by Example and this being the case, there appears to be some really bad leadership in this country.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you're mistaken top sites...

it is illegal not to honor a debt..
    file a small claims case. when you win file an order of execution and you WILL get your money...

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

One good thing....if you do end up filing suit, he will have to come to YOU. you are ALWAYS going to have some rocks surfacing,..depending on the soil itself. Send us some pics, and you can get about a dozen sworn affidavits from qualified, experienced, licensed landscapers who will happily testify that it happens and in some circumstances, can be expected. Let us know if we can be of any help. Get us some pictures, though!

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Get all the info you have on him and file on him before he skips out on you.I hope he gave you the correct personal info.Lots of these guys don't cuz they aren't really contractors in the 1st place they just say they are.He lives in NY you live in PA ,did you ever see him in person?Have you got a written or oral agreement that was witnessed by someone?Was somebody else in the room when you made the oral agreement on the phone even?If you have no signed agreement or contract for the work,your screwed.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not to want to argue with you, i really want to know because this has me frustrated to no end, believe me...
    Here in virginia, it is not criminal to owe money. I just got done reading 100's of pages concerning this, mechanic's liens, small claims court, etc, etc... If you don't pay me the money you owe, absolutely nothing happens to you, not in this Commonwealth. Yes you HAVE a lot of options but in the end, all these options can be evaded, the defendant (or whatever) still is not forced to pay, the bs never ends so long they do nothing, they are basically safe it even tells you so...
    But yes, you can file this order of execution, I did read about it, the papers tells me it is very expensive and... will they go to jail if they don't pay? that is all i want to know - will they go to jail if they do not pay?
    because far as I know, that's the only guarantee around here, our jail makes the news it's so bad, ppls do NOT want to go.

7. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

:( :( no good yet

8. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

I've had a fewe hard lessons learned this way.. it really bites the way some people are sometimes .. it has forced me to charge for some of the materials up front.. but isn't something you want to do very often it just doesn't look good on your part .. small claims is about your only retribution ..it will go on his record that he doesn't pay his bills .. might save someone else from having the same trouble with him .. errr people like that really tick me off .. good luck to ya buddy .,. c

9. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO PLACE A LIEN AGAINST THE PROPERTY SERVICED, AS LONG AS YOU DIDNT SIGN A CONTRACT SAYING OTHERWISE. AS SOON AS THE PROPERTY OWNER IS SERVED WITH THE INTENT TO FILE PAERS YOU WILL UNDOUBTEDLY GET A RESPONSE. payup

10. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member