Dead Beat Website

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mytmower, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mytmower

mytmower LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Let me know if this would interest anyone. I have been thinking of putting together a website that strictly pertains to Non Paying customers. A problem we have in Dallas is some customers will use a company for a few weeks, never pay, and continue to switch companies all year. I was thinking of putting a small site together, divided by Zip Codes, that would allow use to check and see if one of our Non Payers has done this to other companies in our towns. What do you think? Would anyone use this? It would also be a free site.

2. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Would it be legal? It would defintely be a place fpr people in the business to look for non paying lients before they took a job.

3. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Good Idea. Something like this already exisits though. I cant remember the site right now but I am sure someone knows it and will post it.

If this were illegal I would need to find a new country.

4. mytmower

mytmower LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I don't think it would be illegal as long as it has some sort of disclaimer saying that not all posting may be accurate etc.. Luckliy my brother is an attorney and could get me through that part. If anyone already knows of a site like this, please let me know.

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I like in Dallas too and I have thought about the same thing.

6. mytmower

mytmower LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Duekster, What part of Dallas do you service?

7. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

I think it goes against the Fair Debts and Collections Act but I would check with an attorney first.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Lending institutions have this type service. Its called a credit report. With out the credit report how would they know who will pay and who will not. You would have to check to see that all the info is correct or face a possible lawsuit for slander and the like.

This idea has been kicked around before?? i think it would be great to impute the name and see if they Qualify like the potential costumer will do about you"BBB, references".

9. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

10. sweetlou

sweetlou LawnSite Member

I know some lco's in the n.y area who were talking about it but it came out that the deadbeats could wind up suiing you.Its a big problem we all have.Some people go from one landscaper to the next screwing everyone.I think its up to us to stop these deadbeats,whenever someone screws me I make sure when I see the other Company doing the property I give them a heads up.Also whenever I go do a new estimate I ask who they used last,if there reluctant to tell me the radar goes up,problem is eveyone is so willing to take on new customers they put blinders on instead of doing some due diligence I believe if you have been in the business for awhile you can get a good feel for deadbeats be it thier personality,property etc.better to go with your gut than work for free.