Dead birds???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BerksLawn, Jun 22, 2002.

1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

This might not be in the right forum but while we were mowing the past week we have seen 12 dead birds. All of these were in a spread out area of our customers. Any one else seen this or no why some many are dying? Btw these aren't baby birds either.

Later,
    Steve

2. I see lots of dead birds in the spring. Wind/hail storms, the old, weak, young ones that don't make it after ma & pa send them on their way.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

IF you are finding a higher number than normal then you should report it. The West Nile Virus kills birds and is affecting birds here in NC. Your state is listed as a state for postivie findings.

Only carcasses that meet the following criteria will be accepted for testing:

Less than 36 hours old.
    No odor or maggots
    Entire carcass only
    Priority will be given to dead crows, blue jays and raptors

For assistance in identifying the bird species, please check the following web sites:

Audubon Park Bird ID Chart for birds commonly seen at feeders
    eNature.com - Bird ID
    Peterson's Online
    USGS Patuxent Bird Identification Info Center

Here is the form for Maryland you should fill out: http://edcp.org/wn/html/wndeadbird.cfm

http://westnilevirus.nbii.gov/

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If someone blanketed with diazanon, that will do it as well. These insects take this in, get eaten by the birds, and there you go. A sad, but common occurence with insecticide. This is a MAJOR reason why I discourage anyone from blanketing a whole yard with insecticide. It's down right senseless. If you can locate the areas affected by the damaging insects, identify the damaging insects, and apply only in the threshold damaged areas, you can save alot of headache, grief and bad rap on pesticide uses. Cultural practices rule! I still see people doing this all the time, though, - even for grubs. Now, I see Scotts even has a new fert. product out enCOURaging homeowners to pollute their whole lawns with insectides - even if they DON'T need it. Their approach is a proactive one, that even states such "bull" as "protect your yard during the hot summer months". Then, they go and put some title on it like "Summerguard". Like it's the cureall for all drought and dry conditions, too. What uninformed customers DON'T realize, is that this stuff kills all the good predator insects, too. But, what the heck, with a name like Scott's, THEY know what's best for our environment, and will put that over marketing and profit, right?:rolleyes:

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Please report your findings to the local animal control office so the proper analysis can be made. Three dead birds tested positive for West Nile Virus last week in Manassas, VA.

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a dead skunk yesterday, a dead squirrel at the end of my drive way today, a baby bird dead on monday, and a dead chipmunk next to a tree. Weird!

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

My first thought was West Nile.

I do know that a dead bird ran over with a mower was the worst smell i have smelled in a long time. Worse than dog poo. Way worse.

All the dead critters might be accounted for by a juvenile sharp shooter with a BB gun. :D

8. RoyaleRcr

RoyaleRcr LawnSite Member

Ditto on the West Nile Virus. First the birds die, then we might. Report it TODAY!

Good Luck,
    Jeff