Dead Cat

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cahermit, Jul 9, 2006.

1. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

So I was clearing out some weeds from a flowerbed around a yard the other day, and I raked into a dead cat. Say about 2 months into decomposition... I left it there. The trash cans are all over packed, and can't fit any more, and I wasn't quite sure what to do with it, or if that was even really my job, as I was only being paid to remove weeds.

What would you do? Pick it up, or tell the home owner that you don't do carcass removal?:confused:

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

If you got a shovel then bury the thing. If you don't have one why not???? Just keep the cookies down and you will be OK.

My dog dragged a cat carcass home last week, left the putrid mess on the front lawn. I had brought a customer by to pick out some plants for her yard when we came across the mess. Shovel and a few minutes work put it underground where it belonged. That dog of mine purely enjoys rolling in the worst smellin things around, must be his anti-bug deodorant.

3. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

is that acceptable to bury a dead animal in this dude's yard without consulting him, or asking where would be a good place to bury it. I'd be kinda pissed if someone found one of my heathen cats dead, and buried it on my property without consulting me, and I rent! Plus what if the guy plans to put in a pond or something, and you just buried a dead animal in the plot? I'm gonna wait to consult him, or wait until he empties his trash, then I'll dispose of it.:rolleyes:

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

They knew it was there...had to of smelled to high heaven...$50 removal fee or the customer can take care of it...

5. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

Oh i think it's done smelling (until I move it), it's been there for a while, under the leaves, below the bush, behind the 3 ft tall weeds. I'm not so sure they knew it was there, they probably thought the smell was blowing over from someone else's property...:rolleyes:

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You found it, I guess you can keep it.

Really, though, if you were paid to do a cleanup, what's the big deal? Throw the dang cat away.
    Do you really have to ask what to do with it? If so, ask the homeowner.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i found a dead cat in one of my yards, i mowed around it, lol and when i finished i knocked on there door and asked them if they had a cat, when they said yes, i said well there is a dead cat in the yard it might be yours.

8. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

guys most of my custumers like me cause i just take care of things like that with out bothering them. cleaning out an area is "cleaning out anything you wouldn't want there if it was yours"

9. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

It is more like fertilizer at this stage. Let the homeowner know of the carcass and recommend disposal under a nice tree / plant. This ain't rocket science.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic