Dead Fosters

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KerryB, Aug 23, 2001.

1. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Ok everyone, this is my first post so be gentle. lol I landscaped a new restaurant this spring.
    Out of the 10 Foster Hollies(ball@burlapped, 5to 7ft) i installed by hand(ouch) all have died except 3. The owner ignored my watering instructions and they have been 4 months now without any water except for the occassional rainfall. Should the replacement of these be my responsability?

2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

The answer would be NO at first, but then I have to ask a few questions.

First, did you say in your contract or give a verbal agreement to warranty the material. If so, then you may be responsible, whether or not they watered.

Second of all, what kind of relation do you have with this client. Is more work on the horizon, or was this a one shot deal. If you see future work, then it may be worth replacing them in order to keep good relations up.

Third, what kind of direction do you want your business to have. Maybe working a deal out, replacing them at a reduced price will not be the economically viable thing, but sometimes remaining in the 'good graces' of existing clients leads to new job leads and a good reputation.

steveair

3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

No warranty.
    I do the lawn care. However, this is subject to change as the owner is a doctor and says he may want to do it himself at times. He also told me i charged him too much for the installation, and finished a new section himself(poorly i might add). I thought i was reasonable, as a favor to him he paid my cost on the trees about $75 each. I charged him $30 hr for 57hrs work. I planted 15 helleri hollys, 9 crepe myrtles, 30 compacta hollys,the fosters, 8 carolina jesemines, mulched prepared all the beds, and picked up and hauled all materials myself.