dead grass from long gone pool

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lucforce, Apr 22, 2007.

1. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Above ground pool and deck removed from property 3+ years ago. Last year drought kept all of lawn from being green. The year before record rainfall had grass growing at rates that were not reasonably controllable. So far this year has been reasonable and seems like a good time to address this issue.

I already, aerated, dethatched, fertilized and brought in some new topsoil for that area, but a near perfect ring of brown grass and weeds remains in the lawn. How do I deal with this?
  2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

You've aerated to reduce compaction, dethatched to remove dead grass and weeds and fertilized to encourage new growth. Being an irrigator I have to ask though... Was the area overseeded and given plenty of water to encourage germination? Sounds like you're just relying on rainfall and often this is not enough to establish new seed.
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Purp makes a good point , but your post does not contain enough info - did you in fact overseed , the grass came up and then died ? How long was it green before it turned ? You mentioned brown grass so I would assume that you seeded , it came up , went dormant with first frost since you must have a southern turfgrass and it did not green up when the rest of the lawn did . But it could have germinated , grown some , and then died from lack of irrigation . Then you mentioned dead grass and dead WEEDS , which are unlikely to die from drought . But then you didn't actually say when you seeded ,so you could have done it this year . Just not enough info, but an interesting scenario .....