Dead grass help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnscapesLLC, Sep 7, 2007.

1. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

I just picked up a new customer last night. She fired her old lco because he killed all the grass along a brick edged planter bed that wraps around the whole house. Apparantly he used roundup or something else and had alot of over spray. My question is how long does roundup contaminate the soil? What can I do to speed the process up or do i have to dig out the killed sections? She obviously wants green grass there and wants to know how long it would take.

Thanks!

2. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

dig out all damaged turf.

Roundup does not affect soil, just vegetation.

once all the damaged turf is removed, add topsoil if needed to fill the void left after you removed the damaged sod.

seed/hay and be done with it.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

30 days if you want to be sure, from day of application, surely if it's dead now it's already been a week or so?

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: are you sure its herbicide damage and not from whipping the grass to low, it has been dry here in jersey so that wouldnt surprise me. also if it had been sprayed with round-up label says wait 10-14 days after treatment to be reseeded. also when we completely kill off lawns we wait 2 weeks brfore renovating and never have had a problem. tony

5. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wait for it to grow back. It wont be long. Unless he used a soil activated herbicide, which is doubtful, he used a foliar feeder herbicide like roundup. Existing grass will not take long to creep back into the area of burned grass. Over seed the are for extra measure.

6. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info guys!
    General grounds--the customer said it was from spraying, she said she would see him spraying the brick so the weeds would not grow between them. I saw dead weeds in the brick so i'm taking a guess and the grass was not too short around the brick either. also the same dead grass is near all the cracks in the sidewalk, looks like he over sprayed the cracks and into the turf.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When we have this type of problem......we paint the grass and most people never notice.

8. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMAO:laugh: :laugh:

***headed to homecheapo to get some green spray paint***

9. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

7 days to reseed after spraying round up...