Dead grass over Septic Tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kaloisa, Jun 17, 2004.

1. kaloisa

kaloisa LawnSite Member
    from CT

HELP - I put a new lawn in last year as we had built a house and spent a lot of time getting to be one of the nicest in the neighborhood. THe problem that I am having is a large brown spot, maybe 4 by 8 over the septic tank. The dead spot is perfectly square and the rest of the lawn is doing great. Anybody got any ideas? My first thought is that the grass is getting cooked b/c that area is in direct sunlight all day. Since this is my first house with a septic I don't know if this is comon or not.

Additionally, I mow with a 48" Scag and recently bought a lawn striper from Big League Lawns and let me tell you - the thing works awesome. Mine cost $250 delivered. I read many articles on this website about amking your own with chains and yes I agree it is cheaper to do it that way but also time consuming. This took less than 5 minutes to attatch and I never have problems.

Please help with my problem!!!

Thanks, Keith

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Water,water,water.
    It probably has too much drainage because of the leach field and the fill used around the tank.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

My guess would be that the septic tank is too close to the surface, ie, not enough loam. Can you add more loam in that area and blend it into the rest of the lawn?

4. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the septic did not settle enough yet. Some settle faster than others, I would just water it a little more or like dfor said, add some loam. Maybe it could also be your septic has a leak(highly doubtful). You can usually spot a new septic field right away on new builds, the grass is usually a different color at the start and will eventually cooperate. I would give it this year and wait and see what happens. If by this time next year you are not noticing any change, I would just re-seed the area.

5. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

We have the exact same thing at our cottage. The grass over the tank itself died and now weeds have grown to the perfect outline of the the tank. I am going to take a wild guess and say perhaps there is some heat generated in the septic tank and kills the grass above it. It is a concrete tank, we have a metal tank at a different place and grass is fine over top of it, Maybe it has something to do with the concrete?.

Ray

6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I got a property i've had for 10 years (until today they are moveing) :( I have overseeded it every year ,an it is (was ,still it till the 29th) they best lawn i've had .But every year i've had the same problem as you do .Nothing we can do about it .Good luck!

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

This sounds odd to me. My first job I ever had was pumping septic tanks. Can you imagine how it looks to have a septic truck put you up after school? Over the tank is usually the most greenest spot in the whole lawn. That made it easier to find the tank as the own never knew where they were. The stories I could tell you on that subject. Dig down and see how far the tank is below ground. See what kind of soil was put on top of the tank. Are you 110% sure the tank is in that spot? When building houses it is common just to bury the trash just any where. I remember something like this a few years back and it turned out to be that all the Sheetrock trash was buried close to the top of the ground and killing the grass.

8. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I built a house 2 years ago and my lawn did the same thing. I concluded that it was that the tank was too close to the surface. I had to water the heck out of it. There was only about 4 inches of soil, so I'm not sure it was heat or what. I just watered the heck out of it and it seemed to pull out of it.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Large areas of concrete buried under even 6-12" of soil (such as a septic tank) are natural heat magnets, along with the potential to effect soil Ph from the calcium in concrete leaching into the surrounding soil. In order for grass to grow, it may need to be necessary to water these areas more often than the surrouning turf. Also, check soil Ph to make sure it is not out of whack.

10. Aleman

Aleman LawnSite Member

We get the same thing here...a perfect outline of the tank when it gets hot and dry....