Dead grass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TnT, Apr 7, 2001.

1. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

In the spring and fall I have a lawn where the grass looks like it has been sprayed with round-up, but recovers during the summer months turning green (3 different areas in the lawn). The roots are really thick and you have a hard time pulling them apart. What should I do with this lawn? Till it, then re-seed?

THANKS!!

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

What kind of grass is it. It sounds like a warm season grass and should be seeded/fertilized on a different schedule than fescue.

3. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

Kentucky Blue grass I think.

4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

This really sounds like a disease of some sort, might be Microdochium nivale (pink snow mold). Microdochium patch is usually most active during early spring and fall. What you really need though is an accurate diagnosis. If you take a 8" X 8" plug of turf, try and make shure there is some healthy turf and some disease on the plug, into your local Extention office they may be able to ID the disease. If they are not able to they will usually carry the forms to have the sample sent to the nearest Ag oriented university for professional analisis, cost is generally about 10 bucks to have the sample sent out.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L

5. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

Could it be Kikuyugrass, if so what do I do to treat it?