Dead plants

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kbacon3231, Jul 19, 2006.

1. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

After installing some plants for a woman she called me back to let me know that all 6 Black-eyed Susans i installed have died. All of the other plants are doing good.(Hosta's, mums, Burning bush and others) It has been a month since they were installed. I was a little concerned with there possibly not being enough drainage for these when i installed them and i think that is what the problem is. How could you fix this problem to add more drainage. Also when i went to collect the final payment for this job a week later i noticed they were slumped over. So i tied them to stand up. Any ideas or suggestion will be appreciated.

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

There are so many possible reasons for this. Were the plants pot-bound when you took them out of the pot? Have you bought from this supplier before? Have you every had any problems with other plant materials from this supplier? Did the client care for them properly after installation? Can you be sure ??

Black-eyed Susans are native to meadows and prairies. They LIKE poor soil and full sun. Were these native plants or hybrids? They hybrids prefer amended (fertilized) garden soil.

I would think that if drainage was the primary problem, the other plants would have been affected, also.

3. kbacon3231

kbacon3231 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I purchased form this supplier before with no problems, and they were potted. As far as her not taking care of them.... only god knows. In the same breath all of the other plants look good. I installed about 35 plants total. I am going to replace them at no cost since so much more work is lined up for her property. I just curious why.