dead plugs of Bermuda..help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSIM, Sep 23, 2004.

1. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

The last couple of months when mowing my customers lawns that have bermuda tiff, I keep getting these brown dormant or dead plugs (stems) of grass that are being sprayed out ( open discharge ) over the top of the grass.

They are not easily dispersed with the blower since they are 3" in length.

The lawn is nice and green but it seems the blades are pulling up these dead stems of grass and blowing them over the whole yard. It almost needs to be raked.

I dont have as much a problem if I use my 21" that mulches but I really dont want to go that route everytime.

thanks for any advice!

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes high lift blades make so much vaccum that they will do that on bermuda after several months of cutting. Try a set of gators.

3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Have you checked for grubs?This can happen when grubs weaken the roots.Grass just pulls right out.

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Sharp blades help prevent this.

5. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

I know what your talking about. I had this problem too but I haven't noticed it since I switched to raptor blades.

6. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys for your replies.
    I have new gator blades on the mower (last 2 weeks) and it hasnt changed anything.
    As far as grubs goes, thats one thing I havent checked but it seems unlikely that it would be the problem on everyone of my bermuda lawns.

I have a guy from Lesco thats supposed to be going out to check on one of my problem lawns this afternoon.
    I see what he says and post it later.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

hmm....I've never been able to get an acceptable cut quality discharging on Bermuda. You can do it some, but I found it eventually chokes on its own thatch, since the woody stem part doesn't decompose well. I guess you're pulling up thatch with high lift blades and that's what you're seeing. I know my Exmark mowers have cut grass into finer parts when discharging that others I've owned. But mulching or bagging as a 2nd choice is really the way to go on Bermuda. Mulching chops those stems up into smaller pieces that are more easily filtered down into the soil and eaten by the organisims that do that.