Dead Sod

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Uranus, May 11, 2007.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I put in about 5K sqft of sod last week. I prepped the area then an irrigation company came in and installed a new system. The system was up and running when I installed the sod. I drove by 3 days later to check on the condition of the sod, every thing was looking ok. Now this week when I show up there are 2 spots where the sod is dead. It is so brown that there is no saving it now. I noticed a section that was showing the beginning signs of drying out so I put on a sprinkler that was on a hose and watered it while I sat on the front porch. Luckily the irrigation system turned on. Just of laughs I went around and checked the coverage since I was there watering.
    Well, wouldn't you know that the 2 major spots that are totally dead dont have coverage. One small triangle spot does not get any water at all, and the second spot the rotor stops just short of the driveway. So along about 15 ft of the driveway there is a dead spot 15'x'2.

When I showed up and saw these spots I figured I was going to have to eat the cost and labor of a few new strips of sod or a little loam and seed. Not now. My question is have you ever had this happen to you, or where you accused of not covering the area properly? How did you resolve it? I'm thinking I'm just going to cut out the dead spots and put a little loam and seed down. Of course it would be after the coverage issue gets fixed.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Talk to your client and have them call the irrigation guys back out to fix the problems.

3. Do as sheshovel says, but I would take couple of pictures while the irrigation is going to prove my point to client.

Regarding sod jobs,I don't know if your like me, but I do not offer any kind of guarantee unless I install the irrigation or the irrigation that is in place, I know for a fact that is meets or exceeds my standards.

As far as irrigation and sod, the irrigation should of been put in place before the sod. This way, it could be tested and verified for proper coverage.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

your irrigation company cant hack it...

I suggest you call someone who knows what there doing next time.

5. sheshovel

Who says he hired them? He says nothing of the sort here Rotar. Don't assume he hired them, the clients might have hired them.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

well some one should be told they are a disgrace to the trade...
    and who cares if he did hire them....

im not bashing anyone...just stating my opinion.....
    no irrigator who knows what they are doing would make a mistake like that.
    plain>simple

7. sheshovel

I will say though that if the system was up and running when I installed the sod, I would have defiantly checked for full coverage before I left. That was a mistake.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

easy fix...

your a landscaper ....not an irrigator

9. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Was that a freudian slip?

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

dude u batting ont he other side?