dead spots from Super Z?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Gruneich Lawn Care Inc., May 30, 2004.

1. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have noticed that whenever I need to stop for a short period of time and get off the mower to move something or stop to talk to someone there will be a dead spot of grass underneith the mower, I have been looking around underneith the mower, and have found a hot stream of air coming from underneith the mower, am I just crazy or is this causing the dead spots? Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You are not crazy, there are a small amount of units out there this is happening on.
    We are currently testing options to resolve this issue.
    I will update when I know more info on the subject.

Pj

3. ronfrish

ronfrish LawnSite Member

I have the same problem with my new FasTrak 20/52. There is a blast of very hot air that blows down across the manifold and scorches the grass where ever I stop. There are now many brown spots where I stop to open up the gate that I need to drive thru to mow.

I sure hope they come up with a solution. This is the only complaint I have with an otherwise, great machine.

...Ron

4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

:D That is the only problem I have with my Super Z. It doesn't do it all the time, just mainly when you shut it off and leave it on the grass. I figured it was the muffler doing it. I rarely leave it on the grass when I have shut it off, so it has been a rare occurence. But it has happened.

5. OSDOTF

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

We are leaning toward the exhaust manifold/muffler as our No. 1 suspect. It first came to our attention last summer on a Honda-powered Super Mini. It seems to be mainly a problem with Honda-powered mowers due to the position of the exhaust manifold.

6. keno

keno LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

This is odd, We experienced it also last week. We had 2 machines out here, on a demo. Both a Super Z and a Super Mini. I do know one of them had the Honda motor in them. After a few days we noticed several round circles in the lawn of about 12" or so in diameter. I actuallt thought naybe it was the start up of the blades, now we know.

I would think this would be High priority on Hustlers punch list for a fix. As customers would flip if we left brown circles in there lawn

Ken

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Mine is a 27 Kohler, so it is not isolated to Hondas. Honestly it is not a huge problem. We load the mower when we are done. The only time it has happened was when we stopped the mower on the grass and left it there. Just stopping and leaving it running to pick up a piece of debris or something does not seem to give it enough time to happen. But still I would like to have that fixed.

All along, I thought it was the muffler. Maybe it's the clutch :confused:

8. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The baffle I have been testing seems to be working. I will know for sure by the end of this week.

9. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

The heat sheild I have benn testing IS working. I have had it on 2 1/2 weeks and haven't noticed any new scorched spots. Thumbs up to Pj, and the guys@ Hustler for getting a solution for this. Here is a pic of the heat shield. Still no new gas caps though?.

heat sheild.jpg

10. ronfrish

ronfrish LawnSite Member

That's great! I desperately need one. I hope they can get them out quickly, because the scorched spots my FasTrak 24/52 leaves in my lawn on either side of my gate really look bad, along with various others spread out across the lawn where I inadvertently stop to pick up debris.