Dead Spots in Bermuda Grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jota112402, Aug 3, 2005.

1. jota112402

jota112402 LawnSite Member

Greetings,

I live in Newnan, GA (30265), and just since my last mowing (a week ago), I have developed several spots of dead grass in my Bermuda grass. We have had a lot of rain this summer, so watering is not a problem. I have not noticed any grub activity with my own inspection, but I really am not sure what to be looking for, either... I was thinking maybe a fungus or some such? I am attaching pictures so you can see what is going on. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas, or has seen this before.

Thanks,

Jay De Leo

HPIM1252SM.jpg

HPIM1254SM.jpg

HPIM1255SM.jpg

HPIM1256SM.jpg

2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

it looks likie a fungus called brown patch (at least thats how its refered to here ) im not a licensed chemical applicator so i dont know the correct treatment plan for you, just thought i would share what i think it is. Try posting it in the fert/chemical forum so the guys in there will get a look at it.

3. jota112402

The guys in the chemical forum don't seem to think it's a fungus. They asked about possible over-fertilization... here is what I repied to them"

"It has been since the beginning of Spring since I fertilized, so, I do not suspect the problem to be over-fertilization. I believe I applied Scott's turf Builder with Weed Control.

As I said in the original post, we have had plenty of rain, so I have not had to water additionally.

Before a week ago, I did not have this problem. I mowed the lawn last weekend, and these spots formed soon after.

Thank you for your help,

Jay De Leo"

Any other thoughts? Thank you!

4. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

i'm over in j'boro, i know the rain has been here also. alot of it in the evening just before sundown which is not good, helps promote disease when temps drop at night. run your photo over to Pikes in P'tree City (or Newnan if you have one), they'll refer you to a fungicide i bet.

have you considered using a lawn chemical co rather then doing it yourself? there are some good independents in the area and there the experts. of course, with the rain we've had your still likely to get fungus but then you just pick up the phone and let them handle. good luck.

5. jota112402

Thanks for your assistance!

Jay De Leo

6. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

Brown Patch is the main disease we see in this area, which can especially do damage to Fescue lawns. Look for brown spots a few inches to several feet in diameter, with a yellowish "smoke ring" around the perimeter of the patch especially early in the morning...