Dead spots on "my lawn" any ideas ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Piedmont Lawn, May 8, 2003.

1. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Hi Gang,

In the last 2 weeks my lawn had developed little dead spots all over 1.5 acres. It consist of blue grass, wire grass and some weeds. Spring app of fert over seed and aeration. No pets other than the local dogs that pass through at night and this looks to be too many spots for that type of damage. Could this be grubs ?

dsc00098.jpg

2. Piedmont Lawn

another view......:confused:

dsc00101.jpg

3. turf78

turf78 LawnSite Member

Looks like a disease called red thread to me because of the pinkish color. Add nitrogen and or use a good fungicide for red thread such as ProStar.

4. Piedmont Lawn

Thanks turf78,

I did a search on Red Thread and my conditions have been prime for it temps 50-70 deg and torrents of rain for weeks on end.

I don't recall how much N I put down last fall 500 lbs of 28 or 31 something-something and 500 lbs of lime. This spring I put down 500 lbs of 8-24-24 the lowest N I could find not much to choose from around here.

I did find some info that recommended applying quick release 21-0-0 5lbs per 1000sq ft but I'm afraid that could cause other problems this time of year. I will look for a good fungicide and try that first spot spraying.

Thanks again!

Z

5. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's too early for grubs to be actively eating... other than that, the other makes sense.

6. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

I agree it looks like red thread disease. Periods of growing
    humidity, temps cool at night and warming rapidlly in the day.
    Look closely at the affected blades to see if there is a small red or pink fiber coming out of the split tip of the blade. If so, red thread is your answer.

Usually grass will grow itself out of this condition. Application of a light dose of fertilizer is often all you need.

Caution! Over fertilization can often lead to potential for more
    serious diseases like summer patch and brown patch.

Use of fertilizers high in potassium have proven to offer some
    cell wall strengthening and reduction in disease potential.

7. Piedmont Lawn

Thanks Guys:)

You were right!

dsc00116.jpg