Dead wood removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Adamma Landscape Group, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

What is the fair price to charge for tree removal. The specification is as follows.
    Three trees all fallen down
    One is about 5 feet in diameter and 120 feet long
    Two are about 4 feet in diameter and 100 feet long.
    All logs and debris to be hauled off to landfill.

What about 9 Trees all standing, 3 of them dead
    Everything cut, removed and hauled to landfill
    I need tree experts to give me bid ideas. Thanks.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

my bid idea would be to sub a tree service and collect 5-10% mark-up.

3. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Can't say a thing with out atleast a pic, and knowing what else will be involved. Most likely though, subbing them out will be the best.

4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Do it yourself if you have the equipment/resources/experience to do so, charge dumping fees and then charge hourly....im thinkin $50/hr.

Jeff

5. Adamma Landscape Group

Adamma Landscape Group LawnSite Member

Thanks Mark
    I will never sub a job out. If we do not have the technology and manpower to do the job I will not bid the job.

When I was new in this business a tree company tried to go behind my back and talk the owner to get the grading and sodding job, because the job was big.

6. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I thought about this a little after my first reply. If you're equipped, you could take away what's down by just bidding at a good hourly rate. It's the stuff that's still standing that concerns me.

My father-in-law is a logger and I work with him in the woods from time to time. Falling trees can be very dangerous. You mentioned three are dead. Well, if the stumps are rotten, it's very easy for the notch to break off and the tree can fall the wrong direction. A tree that is leaning to much looks like an easy fall at first, but if you don't cut it fast enough, it can split and come back with enough force to knock your head off your shoulders :eek: don't forget about the widow makers (dead branches hung up in the tree) that have a tendency to fall when the tree comes down.

Even when you get the tree on the ground, you're not out of the woods (no pun intended). 4-6" or larger softwood limbs (pine & hemlock up here) can get pinched under the tree and other limbs, then snap back hard on you when you're limbing. Of course, running a chainsaw is inherently dangerous in itself. I learned the hard way to keep your finger off the trigger unless you are actively cutting. A simple slip can also mean a trip to the ER. In my case, thank goodness for the steel toes.

I'm not trying to be totally doom & gloom, I'm just saying tree work requires a professional with a lot of experience. It's my guess that is why you haven't received any replies from the tree experts. Don't underestimate the potential difficulty of the tree job. If you think it is still something you can handle, good luck, and be safe.

7. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

If you ever read the injuries and fatalities section over at arboristsite.com, you'll see why people frown on landscapers doing trees.

They rarely have the equipment, insurance, or the experience to do the job right. Your referring to landfilling the stuff tells me you're in that catagory too.

As for the tree co that tried to get your landscaping stuff? They obviously were'nt a real tree company.

I deal with several landscapers and lco's. They don't do trees, I don't do lawns. Simple as that.

Get a good sub.

8. TREEGODFATHER

NN... if you'd do it for $50 an hour, you're freaking nuts.

9. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

I figured you'd chime in here. It tends to be pretty common here, until most of these guys get to see professionals work, everyone thinks they know it all. You don't realize how much you don't know until you see someone who actually does..... Trees are dangerous.

10. TREEGODFATHER

It's not uncommon to see a homeowner with some pole climbing gear he bought off of Ebay doing his own tree work.

It's also not uncommon to drive by the next day, see a pile of brush and the gear lying right where the rescue squad had to remove it, either.

Regarding your statement, it's what you DON'T know that can kill you.

Some may confuse my posts with some kind of "turf war" thing... (pun intended). It's not. But... If you look at injuries and fatalities figures in tree work, you'll see it's overwhelmingly people who shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.