1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dead Zoysia

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by carbpow, May 14, 2013.

1. carbpow

carbpow LawnSite Member

I think most people think low maintenance means sod and forget with a little fertilizer once in awhile. I find the empire to need just as much water as any of the rest but the fertilizer cost to be less. I spoon feed a low nitrogen high quality palm fertilizer to my zoysia and it seems to thrive. I also cut with a Tru Cut at about 1.5 inches though I have cut it down to 1 inch. I have had no problem with disease but have had some grub issues. For the last few months moles are loving this yard and I am not real sure what to do about them.

2. Well st Augustine doesn't even describe low maintenance. Pound for pound imo i think they are both the same(empire). Shorter varieties are another story. If anyone wants low maintenance, get bahia.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Honest answer. People are told that there is no such thing as a low maintenance turf. They want low maintenance it is mowed weeds, Astroturf or gravel. Anything that I can call a lawn and keep a straight face while doing so is very high maintenance.

4. I agree. I can call bahia low maintenance bc people don't do fert and weed control on it here plus in the winter it goes dormant here so mowing is very low. Anything other that bahia is moderate to high maintenance
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. carbpow

carbpow LawnSite Member

It is amazing but this stuff is coming back already. From total brown I am seeing signs of life scattered thought the sun drenched areas. It's my normal scheduled fertilizer time but I am not sure if I should hold off for a week or two as I don't want to cause any shock to the new growth. Thoughts?

6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and feed it. It is not fertilizer allergic like cool season grasses. Feed it, water it, and mow it low.