deadbeats

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by launboy, Jul 17, 2004.

1. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

ok so you take them to court and they argue you didn't do the work. but i did, i mean the guy came out once and saw me doing the work the lawn is perfectly cut its not all long and nasty like i never cut it. so they argue that i didn't do it how do i prove that i did exactly. its over 280 dollars their fist cut was the last week of april so they owe me that may and june and 2 hrs of weed pullin, ya thats right butt bustin' weed pullin and they didn't pay me. i called them and told them pay up or the judge will be seein us. i stopped them at the end of june.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

should have never got past may 2nd without getting paid for april. DUE DATES, DUE DATES, DUE DATES!!!!!! cancelation, cancelation!!!!!! you can't prove you cut the grass, and he can't prove it was your shovel......

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually ask for payment up front the first time I service an account, that way you have proof you did some work for them. I also take some pictures with the digital camera on jobs that I am a little leary of. Pictures are worth a thousand words. we are going to try and use contracts next season for even more payment security if you have to take them to small claims. Marc

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like he's just trying to intimidate you, a lot of people think we're just a bunch of dumb hacks who can't hold a real job. File some court papers and he will know differently.

Bobby, how fast do your customers get their bills? I send the April bill out on May 1, they get it by the 2nd or 3rd, then they gotta mail it back. Do they send money to you by one of those transporter devices from Star Trek?

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

hoolie, pay attention son, this is how a pro does it. full service clients, broken into 10 equal payments, first payment due march 1st, BEFORE i even do any work. 2nd payment due april 1st, by now they got maybe a spring cleanup out of me, and i'm hundreds ahead of them. fert only clients, payments due, for full program, in advance, by feb 15th. cut only clients, april bill goes out april 15th. this is for mowing done on april 14th, 21st, and 28th. due date is may 1st, or i kick the crap out of them.

6. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

That looks like the title to a new thread by Bobby G :p

7. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

i have due dates. like i said the guy came out saw me pulling weeds. there were weeded areas. he saw me cuttin the grass after that. his wife , one morning came out on her way to work. truck was right there in front of her house and i was cuttin.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

what are the due dates? sounds to me like you're trying to get paid for april, may, and june, and it's july 18th! how come when april wasn't paid, u still continued service in may AND JUNE???? that's plain crazy! credit companies don't cut grass, they loan money. this is what they specialize in. they don't cut grass, cus they don't know how. lawnboys cut grass, it's what they specialize in. they shouldn't extend credit, cus they don't know how. i been doing this a long time, i learned how not to have to chase my money. i made the necessary changes, now if i have a deadbeat, it's for only a few bucks, and i always get paid. you need to make changes. if you always do, what you always did, you will always be, what you always were.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally, I only run contracts, which are sent out the first of the month for that months work. If my check isn't received by the 30th, services are halted.

It's the loophole I've found to work in getting around 30 days before you get paid. Instead of waiting until the end of the month to get paid, and then waiting another 30 days until you get your check. You at least get your check at the end of the month.

And yep, Bobby's right. Gotta have due dates.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm telling you guys, get set up to accept credit cards. You simply can't be in this business without extending credit. From what I've seen, most americans simply aren't credit worthy. If a customer doesn't have a credit card, I don't want them owing me money.

We can't run credit checks. If you bill them, about a third won't pay on time. If you demand a check under the door mat everytime you cut, you've just given your customers a license to skip by conveniently "forgetting".

I now require either a credit card or two months worth of service up front. I don't present the two month deposit as an option unless they refuse to give me a credit card. Eventually, I'll stop offering deposits all together...either a credit card on file or no service. Period. It's a trust thing. When they call me from the yellow pages, I have zero problems getting a credit card. When they see me working across the street, it a lot tougher to get that credit card. But hell, if they don't trust me, I don't trust them.

If you don't want to lose your customers to non-payment, getting set up for credit cards is the only intelligent solution, in my opinion.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper