Deadheading Pansies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Aug 8, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

May not beling in this forum, but I wasn't able to get any feedback on this in the landscaping forum.

Anyone have a general rule of thumb as to how many pansies can be dead headed by one man in an hour? I realize newly planted pansies won't be as time consuming to deadhead as they will be in March when they are really growing and they're much larger.

But does anyone have a general rule of thumb for deadheading pansies...labor requirements?

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Of the areas that I keep up, I find I usually spend a half an hour each just deadheading. They all are aprox 100-150 sq ft. I also include weeding when I do this. I spend anywhere from 1-2x per week and sometimes 3 when they are really blooming. so to answer your question I would say 4-6 hours a month during major bloom and then down to 2 or 3 hours to maintain per month per 100-200 sqft of flowers. I sometimes can do it faster but always bid on a longer time due to not screwing myself in the end.

3. fubunics

fubunics LawnSite Member

I thought that this thread was going to contain a funny story......:(

4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Sildoc,

It sounds like perhaps you have some experience with this.

We'll be installing 1,072 pansies this fall on 256 sq ft of bedding areas. I'm figuring on 6" spacing, so 4 pansies per square foot. Does that sound about right to you?

I'm figuring on deadheading the pansies about every 10 days, or 17 times during the six month pansy season. I'm assuming one man should be able to deadhead about 250 pansies per hour. I think it'll be fairly close to reality, but it could be way over estimating things.

What I'm seeing is that the cost to maintain the pansies over the six month period is much more than the cost to install them. Is this normal?

I almost never see crews out deadheading pansies. But if you don't dead head, don't you get all those ugly seed heads sticking up everywhere?

My plan is to ammend the soils with organic matter and sand, use granular merit at planting, dead head every ten days, liquid feed (miracle gro knock off and ironite knock off) every two weeks and apply slug bait every month. Does this sound like a pretty good plan for pansies to you?

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

Any pansies i planted this year have basically stalled out. They have ugly yellowish foliage, and aren't blooming much. Any ideas where to start fixing them?

6. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

We have to pull the pansies out around the first of April here and install heat tolerant plants. My guess is the problem with your pansies is heat. They're an annual plant, not a perennial.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

7. sildoc

Sounds good. I use steer manure and till in to ground. I miriacle grow every 2 weeks and use slug bait every other month unless I see problems. I find myself deadheading every 7 days after 2 weeks of install. then try to move it to 10 if I can.
    I find that maitenance on the pansies is about 2-4x the initial cost of putting them in. One area I planted 126 plants cost to customer was 350.00/ maintenace throughout season came to 895.00 took me one hour per time at roughly 28 times. plus cost of slug juice, miracle grow and weeding.

8. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

Hello. When you guys deadhead are you waiting until the flower has completely turned brown or right when it starts to show signs of withering away? I've always wondered about that.

9. sildoc

That all depends. If I am there and trying to strech out 10 days I will pick withering and brown. That is a judgement call I will make if there are still alot of color. I will leave if there is little color and they still have a few days of life left in them. Technically I really doesn't matter unless it is causing other problems.

10. Buggaboo

Buggaboo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply! I planted some pansies for an entryway this season and half of them thrived without ever becoming too long and scraggly, almost pansy like in their growth habit. The other half went out of control (in different beds but the same entryway) and looked like crap. They ended up being very long with blooms only at the end so I was afraid to clip off the blooms just to shorten the plant. I didn't do much deadheading at all so I was just wondering. Good to see so many people into what they do for a living here on this forum. I'm new to landscaping but I like the honesty of a days work under my belt and hope I can carve out a niche for myself in my community. Do you think lawyers have message boards where they share all their overbilling practices to one another? Dewey, Cheatem and Howe.com?