Deal? 2000 Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJB, Mar 27, 2005.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

A friend is retiring and is wanting to sell his 2000 Grasshopper ,25hp L/C Kubota, has the big hopper dump attachment, 60 inch deck, mulching kit, and has just under 1000 hrs on it. In very good condition, He paid $15,000.
    Wants $9000 is this to much?? What have any of you paid for a similar machine?

2. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

sounds a little high for that many hours even if it is a diesel. What is a new one going for?

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it is a 25hp Kubota, then it is a gas engine model. I sell them new for not much more than he is asking. That machine should probably sell for about $5500.00-$6000.00 with those hours on it.

4. MJB

from Wa

I thought it was little high too. I don't have a Grasshopper dealer very close by to see what a new mower like this would cost. He also has a 1999 Walker 18 hp Kohler with a 42" GHS deck and a 48" side discharge with only 300 hrs on the machine. I'm thinking of making him an offer on the Walker too, being I already use Walker , Grasshopper, and have never had any problems with either machines in yrs. I would like to get the Walker for $5000 , but need to know what others would offer. Thanks

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That seems like a fair price for the Walker. I would offer $4500.00 for the Walker, but you could go his asking price without getting hurt, if, it has been well maintained.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I bought a 2004 GH L/C Kubota w/bagger & power fold 61" deck, plus a bunch of other options. I paid $12,200. There's no way that he paid that much for it new. Offer him $5000.

7. MJB

from Wa

Thanks for your opinion Bob, I think he did pay close to that but he may have forgotten he is over 70. I helped him pick it up when he bought it. He bought the Walker and Grasshopper from the same dealer together. If I remember he paid around $24,000 give or take a bit. I told him to check with the dealers to see what they could sell it for. We haven't determined a price yet for either mower. I'm thinking of putting together a package deal, but I really need the Walker more than the GHopper right now. My Walker is 13 yrs old and still working 3 days a week. But I know it's days of working that hard are numbered. I think he is going to want over $6000 for either mower.

8. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

gotta 2001 grasshopper 721 diesel with 16 cu ft grass vac system 61 inch deck only got 186 hours on it. pm me for price if anyone interested