Dealer a PITA

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doitright, Apr 15, 2005.

1. doitright

doitright LawnSite Member
    from OH

anyone work with any dealers who get pissed when u dont buy equip from them every year?? u go in there for a price check and they try to sell u something and u say that u are not ready to make a decision, they get pissed off and have a real crappy childish attitude and make u seem stupid if u dare shop anywhere else. i got a dealer who sells good equip but is a lousy businessman. even though i have a good sized business and have picked up 2 more guys, i cant afford to buy a new mower every year for crying out loud!!! if my dealer pisses me off one more time, he will certainly regret it - 5 years down the road i can grow my business to a point where i need to pick up 10 more mowers and i will certainly take my business elsewhere and tell all my landscaping buddies to do the same.

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe this thread will grow and become the one that's printed in Turf magazine. You could drop a copy off for him! Then again, why don't you just tell the guy to his face what's what and you'll buy when you're ready?

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It's hard to find a good, supportive dealer. Most of them will kiss your azz during the time you're buying a piece of expensive equipment. Then when you need quick service to keep you from getting behind, they don't want to here from you.

I've had plenty of problems with dealers and I try to avoid them at all costs by doing my own repairs and maintenance. If you're mechanically inclined you can save yourself a lot money and headaches if you can avoid using the dealer for anything other than new purchases.

4. skurtz78

skurtz78 LawnSite Member

what area of ohio. Im in Dayton and have not bought a mower in this town but shopping for one has been intertesting.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Perfect example- My new mowers I just bought I had no use for the 52" we ordered so I asked him if they would just order me a 36 in instead. The 52 was all ready to go, fully serviced and I just needed to sign the papers. They special ordered my 36" in and I picked it up 3 day after, along with some other new toys. So my point is I will shop there exclusively now. They bent over back wards twice to please me, where as another dealer in our area I almost guarantee they would have said NO! And do to poor service at the other dealer I didn't go there in the first place. Outstanding people and service from Miller Bros. Garden Center in Erie Pa. Keep up the great work Mark and Larry. :D

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We deal with one dealer. Have an open account with them, and a generous credit line net 30. They know we use them exclusively, and are well taken care of. Nothing like getting treated like your their number 1 customer. :)

7. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

doitright - haha i wonder if we have the same dealer. where are u at?

8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Similar thing with a dealer here. Its like he is willing to do anything to help you service wise as long as you keep buying machenes from him.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The service is what makes the difference. I use two different dealers, I make big purchases from one dealer, and buy most parts and small stuff from another (2min from my house, convenient, but their service stinks)

Not enough dealers in this area to handle the volume of LCOs, unfortunately.

10. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Had a Toro dealer get the horses a$$ at me for buying a Hustler Super Z instead of a Toro!No disrespect to Toro cause they are a good mower also.It came down to who would deal.I chose the Super Z because of ground speed,oil cooler and suspention seat......not to mention spoiler.Anyway the jerk acts like he don't want to sell me anything (tubes for velkie-trimmer etc.).So to hevk with him,how does he know what I will need to buy in the future?.........VENTED............ :blob3: