Dealer Black Balling (Bad business for exmark)

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by rathompsonandcompany, Feb 11, 2004.

1. rathompsonandcompany

rathompsonandcompany LawnSite Member

I have a issue with a dealer that I feel needs some serious attention. Here is how it all comes down. For the last few months I've been shopping around for a new efi. I've talked with several dealers but the two closest to me were the two that were under the most consideration for the service reason. Well basicly I told both dealer A and dealer B that they both had one chance best deal wins. Well dealer B had the best price. Dealer A calls me to ask about where everything stood and I told them that they got beat and they already knew of course for several reason who they had lost to (dealer B). So now I find out from the grape vine that dealer A called up dealer B and chewed them out and told them they couldnt sell that cheap and blah blah blah. This is a very very poor way to conduct business and why is it any of A's problem what B sells a mower for? I will never buy a single thing from dealer A for any reason. I would rather drive 100 miles one way for sales and service than to deal with them ever again and I plan on telling everyone I can find to talk to about that dealer as well. I also feel that exmark should repremand dealer A as well for the business practices. Let me know what you think.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

rathompsonandcompany,

Neither of us really knows if one dealer called another or if they did what was said. You asked how I feel about the situation. Well with the little information we do have here's my opinion and please understand it's just that. MY opinion.

There are a couple of ways to look at this. First, you really can't be upset with one dealer calling another if you actually told them they were bidding against each other and the lowest price wins.
    How many times have you seen a commercial cutter loose a contract to another over price and get upset? Such practices can often create "unfriendly" and "unhealthy" competition that drives prices so low you can't survive on the contracts you have. Not a healthy business environment to say the least.

2nd, I'd hope a dealer would use their services and talents rather than pricing. If I had someone working that hard to get my business I'd be impressed. Besides it's his livelihood not just your business he's fighting for.

3rd, don't believe everything on the grapevine. Often it's just sour grapes.

Thanks,

Terry

3. rathompsonandcompany

Understand that this came from a very reliable source and if this person tells me that it happend then it happend. Specialy when they heard it straight from the dealer that recieved the call. I told both dealers in question that I would be speaking with several dealers and that the best deal (price/service) would win the deal. These are the same to things that custom cutters deal with price and service.

I agree that working hard for a deal is healthy but they should be trying to earn my business by talking with me and offering top of the line service and what not. NOT by trying to intimidate the other dealers!

What it comes down to is that it happend and it is BAD BUSINESS!!

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Did dealer B tell you he could not sell you the mower after A allegedly called him? If you were still able to buy the mower then how is this black balling? One other thing perhaps the price you told dealer A was so close to his costs he thought you were a liar and wanted to confirm the price. Its a common tactic when buying cars get a quote knock 1000 off then go to the next dealer when you see one freak out you know you found their price. Dealer A could have thought you were playing that game and felt he was still in the race for your business.

5. rathompsonandcompany

At the time that A called B the dealing was done and I had already told A that I would not be buying from them. They were attempting to stop the other dealer from selling at that price. I know for a fact that they have done the same thing with the sale of tractors with another dealership near by. They seem to think they have "territory" I say I'll drive to Canada to keep from buying from them.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

rathompsonandcompany,

Hopefully you'll be more than happy with the dealer your working with now and it'll be the beginning of a good working, business relationship.

I did forget one thing. Welcome to the Exmark family. Just let us know if you have any questions about your new machine.

Thanks,

Terry