Dealer cost for a wildcat?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Billpa, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

I was wondering if anyone had any idea what a dealers cost might be for a 07 52" , 25hp air cooled kawi wildcat located in pa (if that matters) I’m not happy with a different brand Z I bought from my dealer and am trying to get them to help me out a little bit getting into something else, so I would just like a ballpark Idea which may or may not help but I guess it never hurts to know.

Thanks

2. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Wildcat 52 25 air cooled. I paid $ 7399. I`m guessing that its probably around the $5000 to $6000 dollar range for dealer price. Maybe lower I think you would at least have to make 1500 to 2000 dollars a machine to make it. I just dont see a dealer paying 6500 or 7000 dollars to make 500 to 1000 dollars profit on one machine. I would say that the mark up is pretty high.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

LOL........

4. Mike Blevins

LOL.........

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Whew pugs, I agree.. LOL... some people are just born comedians.

Now, maybe if the dealer is buying and taking delivery of like 20 mowers of all the same model at one time from his distributor he might get an extra 3% or so.

6. koop

koop LawnSite Member

So I am still not sure what the dealer cost would be?:confused:

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The dealer cost is the dealer cost. If you are the customer and not the dealer, then you should be concerned with what the "customer cost" is.

8. Mike Blevins

Now thats funny! So in other words we don`t need to know dealer costs or mark-up. LOL!!! Maybe if the customer knew for a fact how much the dealer mark up was then he or she might know how much of the "great Service" was free or tacked on the machine? I have great dealer. and yes I know he makes money off of my purchases. I also know that there are dealers out there that have elevated prices. My dealer sold my mower 1499 dollars cheaper than the next dealer down the road. And the argument with the higher priced dealer was the service. He would give me better service if I bought from him! I guess you would for 1499 dollars more! My dealers service is second to none even though I didn`t pay him for it.

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

How much does it cost you to cut my grass? What is your markup?

10. Billpa

Billpa LawnSite Member
    from pa

Well I kinda figured this would be the result of this thread, at least no one made any direct poking at me for asking the question I guess :)

Not to add to the controversy but maybe to some degree yes what does it matter in the end, what matters is my price but on the other hand it’s nice to have some idea what they may pay when and if they want to act like you’re breakin thier balls by dropping in price a couple hundred or in my case it is fact that the dealer sold me an inferior cutting machine to begin with, yes I did as much research as I could and so on but the reviews seemed ok and the cut may be ok on some turf but I don’t mow one kind of turf, they range from scrub lawns to higher end and I needed a machine that would do at least a satisfactory job on all, this was all discussed with him before my purchase and I was assured I would be happy, well I wasn’t and if they wanted to continue doing business with me I expect them to make it right and help me out a little on my trade and price, while it may not be a huge purchase for them I bought a new Z, trailer and biggest bp blower they had so not to shabby for a new customer Anyway I feel they did pretty much make it right, gave me a good trade in and the wildcat was 26 Liq cooled for around $600. Less than the other loc dealer wanted for a 25 air cooled, they also didn’t seem to interested in taking my trade to top it off. So to the reason I asked the question in the first place was to be informed and have some kinda idea if the dealer tried to come back with a ridiculous price and trade in and tell me that’s the best they could do, I guess it would be one thing if they didn’t sell me the first Z and promise to make me happy but since they did I really wouldn’t have cared if they didn’t make a single penny on the second z, all I cared was they make it right or I would have found somewhere else to buy a new walkbehind and new alum trailer I have in my sights set on. I wouldn’t expect the dealer to come out and tell me his cost, but like others stated I know they have to make money and I know a good chunk of that markup goes towards his operational expenses and so on.

And not trying to be a smart a$$ but I have in fact told customers how much it cost me to cut their lawn, I try to charge at least $35.00 hr (small town) and believe it or not it actually helped out when I explain just what my expenses are or in short just a simple “well you may pay me 35 or 60 or whatever but when it’s all said and done, taxes, gas, truck, equip and so on I’m only left with about xxxx and the response is almost always something along the lines of “wow, I never thought about it like that” and or along with “ it seems your price is much more reasonable than I thought” and from then on out those people’s attitude changed and it seems they’re much more happy to part with their money for a job well done..

Oh and thanks for the reply Mike, I knew best I’d get would be a ballpark guess and that’s fine, I was just interested in what a few people thought. around here the one dealer wanted around $9200 or 93 ( I forget exactly) for 52 air c and 300 more for liq c plus tax, I paid 8900 for liq c plus I think a real good trade in value. 7399. Sounds much better to me though but guess it’s all in where you live