1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealer Credibility

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sheppard, Aug 15, 2001.

1. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Question: How common is it for dealerships to sell mowers as new but are'nt? Some years back I was in the copier business. It was common to put a system back out in the field sold as new but in reality it had 2/3 years on it. In other words the technicians rolled the hour click back.

What are some of the things that dishonest dealerships do? What can I look for? What can I do to prevent being taken advantage of?

2. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Well Sheppard last yr i purchased a new 2000 Toro Z-Master and have now found out its a 99model with a 98 engine and my dealer swore to me it was a 2000, I now don't put to much trust in any dealer there just like used car salesman,they will rip you off and look you stright in the face and lie just to make a buck. Marks Mowing Service
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Look under the deck. It will be all painted up, have painted blades, and the belts will look brand new. I've never had a dealer cheat me on mowers.
  4. Mark

Sheppard forget to tell you learn how to read all model numbers and serial numbers on all mowers and engines, If i would have known that i would not have made my purchase. Marks Mowing Service ps Dummy on my part
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

oh please you go to a reliable dealer whom has been in business for years .....sells a national name brand mower ......DC...Walker ....Scag ....Exmark ..... the item WILL be new ......roll back the hour meter ??.....just look at it ....any mower ...... demo .......with hours in the "field" will show wear .....

the first rock to chip up on her ....somewhere.....even if repainted ...you can see "wear" ....check the frame wayyyy back where the engine or tranny is .....you'll see some wear

those people getting a "new" copier which in reality was 2-3 years previous model ......thought they were today brand models are cows in the pasture .....waiting to become hamburger meat .....each year models change design ......

even in this industry ......look at a 2000 ....2001 ....even soon to be 2002 models of the larger manufacture there will be changes ....maybe little ones .......

education ......read .....learn ......
  6. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with learning the serial and model numbers. Also I would try and contact the manufacturer and ask how old the unit really is. They will have it somewhere or at least tell you how to tell. Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves when looking to get a new toy. Always make sure you check out the machine all the way through. As mentioned above, you should be able to see wear if used or abused. But also remember, if the hours are low and just demo hours, they are harder hours than in a used situation. They are driven as fast as possible when cold started just to get them moved and so on. Just look really good and do some research.
  7. Mark

My Z Master was on the showroom floor it didn't have any hrs on it but when i paid cash for that mower it should have been what i was paying for. Sure it was never used but the point is right now ive had my new mower 1yr and the engine is already 4yr old and mower 3yr old which would hurt if i was to sell it. Its a great mower but the thing is my dealer should have never lied to me. Mark
  8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you ever bring this up with the dealer? I would have gone to talk to my lawyer about it. If he didnt tell you and he knew, he could be liable, even though in all reality it was new. But still he should have told you. What about your warrenty? Is like a true new Z? Or because it's so old the warrenty is out of date before he even sold it? Just wondered.
  9. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same thing happen to me. It wasn't as big of a purchase as yours, just a 21" Snapper mower that cut very poorly from the get-go, so I wanted to bring it back to the dealer(not the one I am with now). He kinda stuttered around for a while, saying this and that about why he couldn't take it back, finally I called Snapper myself and they told me it was a carry over from 2 years back(he told me it was new), therefore the actual Snapper company couldn't do anything for the dealer if he took it in. So I immediatly returned to the dealer and brought this to his attention, yeah, he knew all along. I was very upset, and let him know that I was. I never even thought of this happening at the time of the purchase. Finally we worked out a deal, I felt screwed over that I even was doing this, that he would sell the machine(to some other sucker, I didn't care at this point) and I would take the money. The bad thing about this is he probably sold it off his showroom floor as new-again! I hadn't used it much more than an hour or two. Like I said, I just didn't care anymore, just wanted to get my stupid $550 bucks back and move on. I'm very happy to say that my current dealer is the best thing that has ever happened to my business. He gets me up and going when I am down, and always is able to get me a good deal on NEW equipment. I trust him 100%. Plus he sells the worlds best mower, Exmark Lazer Z!(personal opinion only)
  10. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks very much for all the helpful answers. Of course I'm assuming most dealers are 'good guys'. Thought of this possibility and wanted to bounce this of everyone. Sex is great- just don't light being screwed!