Dealer cuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Why do so many of us go to our dealer and try to bargain for equipment? So many people look for the better deal. ALways looking for the price break and the cheaper cost on the product. On one hand i can see that that is smart business, but on the other hand i find it very annoying. What if someone wanted to haggle a price break with you for your services.

I guess that is why i tote the motto of "honest work for honest pay". I dont get people wanting to "bargain" or argue my price. Why then do we do it to our dealers? (I am speaking stricktly from what i have read here, not what i have actually done):confused:

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you mean,"what if"?

It's almost human nature for many, and is expected by many who sell.
    I go with the premise of 'It never hurts to ask, all they might do is say no'.

I respect an equipment dealers right to make a profit, he has to or he won't be there. I also feel it's wise (by asking for better pricing) to let them know I'm not made of money. Every little bit helps for either party.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I certainly don't. My dealer is the best, and price never even comes up in conversation. I already know when going to purchase something about what it will cost, and he can give me the deal he needs to to make money, just like I do to my customers. When I need to purchase something, that's what I do. We have built a great working relationship and I would never even think of trying to strong arm him for something. He treats me well and I give him all my business. I could call his cell phone right now (Sunday morning) and tell him a piece of equipment is down and I bet my life he would meet me at his store. Guaranteed. Three years in business and I have purchased everything I needed from him, and only him. Obviously not our skidsteer, trucks, etc., but anything dealing with maintenance was from him. I have never even been to another dealership. I have customers like this and I believe in treating others as I want to be treated. I know some guys on here have dealers that are jerks and aren't as fortunate as I. Although some of the people on here most likely bring it upon themselves based off their attitudes and ways of business. There's always two sides to every story, I'd like to here the other side sometime. Maybe they should give their dealer a chance to respond here with his side of the story before backstabbing him. Yeah right! Someone might get caught in a lie then.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't try to haggle on new equipment. I may ask "what's your best price?" Often they will give a little better price if you are a commercial cutter. (I got $750 off list on my SWB without asking)

On used equipment I will make an offer what I think the machine is worth to me. They can take it or leave it and so can I.

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, you guys are right, I wouldn't haggle too much. After all, we're not dealing with car salesmen here. However, a dealer's price is padded based on the fact that buyers will talk them down a little, unlike how we as LCOs price our services. Besides, they wouldn't be there if customers don't feel good about their purchase (by believing they got a "deal"), the same way we wouldn't be around if a customer thought we were taking advantage of them. On the other hand, they're not gonna let you break them, just to give you a good deal because you are an LCO; they wouldn't be in business very long if they did.

6. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

I've always accepted the premise that 'One offer is better than a thousand lookers.' You don't have to whine to haggle. Just business.

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I always ask and always get a better deal. I buy from an awesome dealer and he knows I will come back to see him.

But think about this, why is there so many looking around for better prices? Some dealers are not as greedy as others. Or they may not need to make as much profit due to volume selling, or who knows why but it happens.

It happens to us too. You tell them $45 and the customer says "another guy said he would do it for $35", or they say "I will make a decision after getting another quote." Maybe they are comparing prices, or maybe they are comparing our professionalism. Sounds like the way we compare dealers.

Its business. Sometimes its good and other times its bad whether your bidding jobs or buying equipment.

8. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I ask when purchasing something large.... usually we can come to an agreement thats better for me than the tag says..... they must realize and remember that I dont question the $8.00 oil filters and $12. blades I buy, when I could get them elsewhere (and SOMETIMES do) for less.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

They're not like used car dealers?????
    Then what are they?
    When you go to an auto dealer do you pay the price on the sticker???????????????????????????????
    If so I have a bridge..........................;)

10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

hmmmm. Interesting thoughts. I would say to those of you who believe that thier prices are "padded" for hagglers to go and ask your dealer if that is true. I would bet it isnt. I never question my dealer on his prices, but sometimes he throws in some little extras like free blade sharpenings or something to help fill in that price gap some of you fear. I pay for a good machine yes. But i pay more for a GREAT dealer.

Used car salesman? Hmm, maybe that is only those dealers on the east coast that sell dixies or scags or something. (JUST kidding)

I just feel that i treat my dealer the way i would expect to be treated business wise. I do know some guys in my area that do haggle. I wont brag on anything here but i will say this, my repairs ALWAYS get done first and faster. I may not be thier biggest $$$ customer, but i am thier biggest Fan.