Dealer gave wrong info... What to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, what would you do if your dealer tells you a machine has a 13 horsepower engine on it, it's a Kawasaki so it just has their number on it in cu. in. which didn't mean much to me, I didn't have a conversion chart and he TOLD me it was a 13 hp.

I wasn't thrilled with 13, but I knew for a 36" cut it should be ok. We made a deal on it, his shop had totally serviced it but hadn't cleaned it up yet. He was asking $3,500 but I was able to give $3,000. (but I had to "clean it up" It wasn't that dirty, but I still washed it totally, I don't want someone else's grime on it! lol.

So I'm going over it and I see the plate that specs the weight, deck size, and horsepower. It says 11! Okaaay... I thought maybe the engine had been replaced... It's an FE-350, which specs out to a 11.1 hp.

So I get an 'F' for doing my research I guess...:sleeping: But I never dreamed that the engine horsepower would be misquoted to me! If someone tells you 13 and they sell those machines for a living I tend to think they know their stuff...

I guess I forgot to mention, this is the Walker I was looking at last week... Today was the first time I got to see it and I bought it. I did run it around in the lot, I ran it into their lawn and ran the blades on an off several times. It Seems to have plenty of power, but there's no way to test it on real grass! :cry: It has 615 hours and is a really clean little machine. But now I'm troubled that this engine is going to be so underpowered...

Do I call him on it? If so what do I ask for? I'm sure he'll offer for me to return it and give me a refund, but I wonder if he'd knock off some more on the price instead? I can replace the engine if it goes, that's bound to happen whether it's a 11 or 13hp. I know those smaller engines just don't last the hours the larger twins do.

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

just surfin' and saw your post... ask him ( if he wont knock some $$ off), maybe he can at least give you a tune up kit or something. He'll work with you if he wants to keep good with you.
  3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeez, 11HP for a 36" cut Walker rider, WAY underpowered! I have a 11HP Snapper rider with an 11HP Briggs, and it has trouble with grass taller than 5". I would definitely make him knock some off the price! :nono:
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Have you use it? Does it have enough power? If it doesn't struggle under normal conditions I wouldn't worry about it.
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I would at least try and get the price knocked down a bit. As they say "caveat emptor"
  6. Jason Rose

Of course you have to remember the difference in torque between a briggs and a Kawi. is enough to make a marked difference. Pre. 1997 the Walker model S had a 11hp briggs on it. Yes those were Trouble! Briggs engines just don't hold up if you put them under load for long times.

I'm still not happy about this... But finding a 36" walker is nearly impossible!
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Nitrous anyone?
  8. Jason Rose

Geeee, I don't know WHY my engine exploded or why my a$$ is on FIRE!! lol!
  9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Just remember to pull 2 degrees of timing for every 50hp you spray and supplement fuel :D

I'd be pretty mad about that. Walkers are crazy mowers, that a big a$$ mower yet a pp little deck and a tiny 11hp engine. I personally wouldnt think 11hp would be enough, my 48" walkbehind has a 15hp engine and I'd at times would like 17hp......I'm hp hungry.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I would call them on it. I just got a 20HP for a 48" deck and I think it is perfect so for a 36 I would want atleast 13. How many hours are on the whole thing? Walkers are big money but there are steals to be had I got lucky on mine!
    Good Luck and tell us how you make out.