1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dealer Get's Attitude Adjustment !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, May 23, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Had trouble with my Walker dealer last year. Took 3 weeks to install a gear box on the deck. I got pissed and e-mailed Walker Mowers. They contacted the dealer and I believe that problem was resolved. My Walker let me down on Tue. I took it in on Tue. afternoon and they told me it was just an adjustment to the hydro's and it should be ready by 3:00 on Wed. To my surprise they had the parts to fix it and it was ready to rock by noon today. I told Walker I was a commercial cutter and I could not be down for more than a day, not three weeks. If that was all the better service I was going to get I would look for a MFG. that took better care of it's commercial guy's. For a fact I know Walker did some MAJOR REAMING cause the dealer told me that I would be taken care of right away, cause they wanted to sell me my next mower.
    Sometimes it just takes a wake up call. They are now going to stock useable parts, like belts,seals,gaskets. Things they use to have to order. Parts are now on there shelves.
    Any of you any had a problem like this with your dealer? I'm glad they woke up and smelled the coffee, cause I really like my Walker and want to stick with them.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

On a few occassions. I never seem to know what the attitude will be when I need something yesterday.
  3. mowman. i work for a dealer. they are great people. however they are terminally insane. if you were using my guys and went and did that to them, they would have a field day with you. i tell my guys there when i need something fixed that if they can do it when they get a chance. however that is normally right away because i know them so well. but even still. i dropped off a bunton machine with them about 2 weeks ago just for drive belts. they adjusted them and still it needed new ones. so they ordered the belts and they have not come in yet. i dont complain unless the machine owner complains. these people you have to understand. you know how you dont only work for 1 person? well they dont only work for you. my dealer deals with over 100 contractors. they have 10 people workin there between sales and service and rentals. so something has to give. especially seeing as how you got guys like brickman goin into there and buying 80,000 dollars of lawn mowers at once. or labriola goin and buying 100,000 dollars worth of stuff in a month. if the machine is that important to you then maybe you should consider buying another one. im sorry to go on like this. but i have seen how my customers act at the store and out of the store at their homes. it is insanity down there. if you did something like that to them, they would have probably just given it right back to you with a bill. and charged you for every last thing they did. that is if they wanted to be nice. so have some respect for your dealer. they do a lot for us.
  4. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I totally disagree with Lawnboy, My dealer(lesco), if I have a problem(under warranty or not), will either get me up & running while I wait or give me a demo unit to use. This is one of the reasons why I stick with them they understand if I'm not mowing, I'm not making money. I looked at Exmarks, dealer was cocky, wouldn't give same service. Guess what I bought another Viper, BYW the new decks are awesome. I would never put up with that type of treatment.
  5. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I believe that it is the dealers responsibility to get you fixed up asap. Any common part on a machine should be stocked. They know going into the sell that you use the machine to make money and it has to be operational. If the dealer feels they cannot service this machine in a short amount of time, then they should not sell it.
    Lawnboy, if you went to Walmart and purchased a new fishing pole to go on a trip in a week and took it home, tried it out and it did not work what would you do? Take it back right! Now, if you took it back and they told you "No refunds, No exchanges", "We will send the pole off and they will have it back to you in three weeks". What would you say to them? I would be willing to bet that it would not be real nice. Or if you bought a new car and broke down. You take to the dealer and they tell you it's the alternator and they will have to order it, takes three weeks to get here. But, we do not have another automobile that you can drive, so find your own way around. What would you say to that dealer? Dealer support is crucial, especially in this business. If they can not take care of you they should not sell the products!!! Just my opinion.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Some, not all, dealers forget that they are there because we are there. We buy the most machines, we come in constantly to buy parts and maintenance items. We are the cash flow. When they put us off due to something like homeowner repairs that will be $$ for one job only, they hurt themselves and us. NO BUSINESS is going to always buy something new everytime you break something. That is not smart business. Having a backup plan is good, but that is why we select dealers. They are part of the backup plan. By the way, just because someone complains to the manufacturer is no reason to throw a tempertantrum. That is what customer service is all about. If they are a warrenty service center they can't act that way. They are not only a representative of there small engine business but also of the manufacturer.
  7. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

The dealer that I do almost all of my business with is great. If I have a mower that is going to be down for longer than one day, he will give me a demo to use until mine is up and running. It seems that when I, or any commercial cutter comes in to his shop, the owner stops what he is doing and comes to see what we need. One time he told me that he actually really doesn't make a dime off of sales to commercial guys. He sales the equipment cheap, just to get us in the door. Then he COUNTS on service to make the money. He has everyone on a different "pay scale". Since I do alot of business with him, I get a bigger discount than the "cut throat scrub lawn care" guy that only spends a few hundred a year. I know that some people don't like his way of doing business, but the way I see it, I give him business, therefore he does his best to make me happy.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

My Walker dealer is excellent. He just started selling Walkers last year and yours truly was the one that bought the first unit from him.
    There is a lot of stuff to go thru before they award a shop with a dealership and he was competing with other mower dealers. Walker has a main distributor in Wisconsin and the local dealers go thru this distributor. So there are multiple levels to help if needed.

He asked me as well as other LCO's about what parts to stock and he has them on the shelf. They have the 1/2 hour trailer guarantee. If they can't fix the thing in a 1/2 hour on your trailer then you can use one of their mowers while yours is being fixed. Part of the reason these guys are doing well is that they cater to commercial mowers. The owner also is the owner of one of the big mowing operations in the Green Bay area. They know what large and small commercial guys need because they started small and got bigger. They have not forgotten the little guy. They "always" have time to talk and help on any question or concern I have. I don't know if I'm violating forum rules but I have to give a plug for West Side Small Engine in Green Bay. ( Eric you can edit that if it doesn't belong)

Lawnboy82, I have respect for my dealer because they have respect for me and constantly prove it. I appreciate the fact that they don't care if I bought one mower or 25 from them but the good word of mouth that I give is priceless and they know that. My mowing business is helped greatly by them and I will do what I can to help theirs. If a dealer shot me thru the grease like Mowmans did, you can bet your a$$ that someone would hear about it. My money is good anywhere and I am not gonna give it to someone who doesn't appreciate my business.

Good to hear your back and running Steve.
  9. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

You guys are exactly right about dealers. They are a big part of anyone's backup plan. However, I don't have a good dealer. I have to drive about 50 miles to get to a dealer for Walkers.

I love my Walker use it everyday. I wish someone would inform the local guy to pick up Walkers. At least for service.

I am going to by a used machine for a backup, but it sure would be nice to have a dealer like the ones you guys use.
  10. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

They are the best. They fix what I need in minutes or GIVE me a demo. They service tons of others LCO's too. Thank God for great dealers, they are a life saver.